Subject: [secdir] [new-work] IEEE 802 July 2017 Plenary - New Study Groups

From: "John D'Ambrosia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:00:56 -0400

Dear Members of the IETF;

In the spirit of continuing cooperation between IEEE 802 and the IETF, the
following letter addresses new work items for information and potential
coordination with the respective IEEE 802 WG.

One of the first steps in the IEEE Standards Association's standards
development process is the creation of a Study Group. Study groups are
chartered to create a formal Project Authorization Request (PAR) document
that includes a description of the project's scope and purpose. 

At the March 2017 IEEE 802 Plenary, no study groups were approved.

The following Study Group were approved at the July 2017 IEEE 802 Plenary -

*	 <http://www.ieee802.org/3/B10K/index.html> IEEE 802.3 Beyond 10km
Optical PHYs for 50 Gb/s, 200 Gb/s, 400Gb/s Ethernet
*	 <http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/lcsg_update.htm> IEEE 802.11
Light Communications Study Group

Further information about Study Groups may be found at
<http://www.ieee802.org/StudyGroups.shtml>
http://www.ieee802.org/StudyGroups.shtml.   

Please note, per the IEEE 802 Policies and Procedures that a Study Group is
chartered to operate until the next plenary session, a period of four months
and, if it wishes to continue, must request a charter extension. Study
Groups may also terminate between plenary sessions if their proposed project
is approved by the IEEE Standards Association Standards Board.

Additionally, within the IEEE 802 family of standards, there is a
requirement that each new project proposal attaches additional documentation
that describes its engineering feasibility, market potential, assurance of
coexistence and distinct identity relative to previous standards (referred
to as the "CSD" in 802, which also includes the "5 criteria"). The "Criteria
for Standards Development (CSD)" used by IEEE 802 can be found in document: 

<https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/14/ec-14-0028-00-00EC-csd-informative-ex
tract.pdf>
https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/14/ec-14-0028-00-00EC-csd-informative-ext
ract.pdf 

Also, please note that IEEE meetings are open and may be attended by any
individuals who register and fulfill any registration fees. Details
regarding future IEEE 802 plenary meeting schedules may be found at
<http://802world.org/plenary/future-plenary-sessions/>
http://802world.org/plenary/future-plenary-sessions/.   Please refer to
individual working groups for their interim meeting schedules. A listing of
all working groups may be found at  <http://www.ieee802.org/>
http://www.ieee802.org/.  

Sincerely, 

John D'Ambrosia

Recording Secretary, IEEE 802 LMSC

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] 

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work