Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise or Amend (extra)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:56:55 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2017-08-14.

Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise or Amend (extra)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  TBD

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/extra/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-extra/

The IETF maintains several key email related protocols that relate to
message delivery to mailstores and mailstore access.  These include in
the following:

 IMAP (RFC3501)
 SIEVE (RFC5228)
 ManageSieve (RFC5804)

>From time to time, there are bursts of work to do and the motivation and
critical mass to do it.  When such bursts coincide, it's important to
give them a home.  This working group provides such a venue.

The WG will work on updates, extensions, and revisions to the above
email protocols. Upon formation, the working group will consider any
existing Internet Drafts that could be appropriate for its processing.
While an interest poll for a new related idea is fine, the WG should
avoid detailed discussion of work items lacking an Internet-Draft.

The working group may also elect to turn its attention and energy to
review and possible revision of these base protocols directly.  In some
cases, there may be appropriate corrections, clarifications, or
amplifications to reflect existing practice or to address problems that
have been identified through experience with Internet mail protocols as
currently specified.  Also eligible for consideration is the incorporation
of accumulated errata or consolidation with newer documents that have
updated the base specifications. However, any new functionality is
expected to be pursued via extensions rather than changes to the base
protocols wherever possible.

Expressly excluded from this charter is work on any protocol for which a
dedicated working group already exists, such as DMARC, DCRUP or JMAP, as well
as any work on SMTP/LMTP and email format/MIME. However, each working group
should endeavor to remain aware of the activities of the other and collaborate
as needed.

Milestones:

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work