Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-spring-oam-usecase-06

From: "Takeshi Takahashi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:10:42 +0900

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.

These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.

Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any
other last call comments.

[General summary]

This document has small nits.

[Clarification Questions]

In the "Security Considerations" section, the draft says that "some
fundamental MPLS security properties need to be discussed."

It would be nicer if you could elaborate more details of the "properties" in
the section or put some reference that describes the details.

The "Security Considerations" section in RFC 4379 says, "Overall, the
security needs for LSP ping are similar to those of ICMP" and elaborates
issues such as DoS attack and spoofing.

Is the proposed MPLS monitoring system free from these issues?

Since this draft discusses the path monitoring system in coparison with RFC
4379 from time to time, it would be nice if these security issues are also
addressed. (Indeed, I could not find the term "denial" in this document at
all.)

Thank you.

Take