Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-05

From: Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 00:19:19 -0600

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

This draft discusses extensions for file attributes in the NFSv4 protocol.

The security considerations section does exist and states that
file attribute extensions adds no new concerns than that of file data
and named attributes.  It defers to the security considerations of
application
data in NFSv4.2 (RFC 7862), which refers to NFSv4.1 (RFC 5661).
5661 discusses possible MITM and down-grade attacks and how to
mitigate them with RPCSEC_GSS (integrity or privacy services).  I agree
with this assertion, though I'd rather have the draft reference 5661
directly
or RFC 7530.

General comments:

None.

Editorial comments:

Section 7.1: the copyright should be updated.

Shawn.
--