Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-dmm-4283mnids-04

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 14:36:55 -0800

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This document is ready with nits.

I was pleased that the security considerations does discuss some privacy
issues.  I think it would help to emphasize that identifiers can be
trackable since many of the IDs in the draft are long lived.  The section
does mention it, this suggestion is just for emphasis.

First sentence of second paragraph of security considerations.

"Some identifiers (e.g., IMSI) are considered to be private information and
some are long lived allowing for tracking of an individual or device."

Cheers,

Joe

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:12:01 -0800

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the review.  There will be new text added to the Security 
Considerations as suggested by other reviewers as well. It will indeed 
lend additional emphasis to the matter of trackable IDs.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 2/5/2017 2:36 PM, Joseph Salowey wrote:
> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
> security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
> these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> I was pleased that the security considerations does discuss some 
> privacy issues.  I think it would help to emphasize that identifiers 
> can be trackable since many of the IDs in the draft are long lived.  
> The section does mention it, this suggestion is just for emphasis.
>
> "Some identifiers (e.g., IMSI) are considered to be private 
> information and some are long lived allowing for tracking of an 
> individual or device."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joe