Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc4307bis-15

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:24:51 -0500

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

STATUS: Ready with one minor typo.

My personal taste would be to reduce the number of algorithms by half. But
that is not practical given the history so this is the best we can do in
the circumstances.

Typos

 Sec 3.4

   Group 22, 23 and 24 are MODP Groups with Prime Order Subgroups thater
   are not safe-primes.  The seeds for these groups have not been

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 03:31:06 +0000

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the review. Next iterations should see that number reduced a bit more … ;-)

Yours,
Daniel

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Phillip Hallam-Baker
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:25 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc4307bis-15

My personal taste would be to reduce the number of algorithms by half. But that is not practical given the history so this is the best we can do in the circumstances.

Typos

 Sec 3.4

---

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:42:27 +0000

Aren't we supposed to be deprecating 5114 primes?

On 18 January 2017 at 02:24, Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> that is not practical given the history so this is the best we can do in the
> circumstances.
>
>
>
> Typos
>
>  Sec 3.4
>
> _______________________________________________
> secdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir
> wiki: http://tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/wiki/SecDirReview
>

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:03:34 +0200

> On 18 Jan 2017, at 14:42, Ben Laurie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Sure:

   Group 22, 23 and 24 are MODP Groups with Prime Order Subgroups thater
   are not safe-primes.  The seeds for these groups have not been
   publicly released, resulting in reduced trust in these groups.  These
   groups were proposed as alternatives for group 2 and 14 but never saw
   wide deployment.  It has been shown that Group 22 with 1024-bit MODP
   is too weak and academia have the resources to generate malicious
   values at this size.  This has resulted in Group 22 to be demoted to
   MUST NOT.  Group 23 and 24 have been demoted to SHOULD NOT and are
   expected to be further downgraded in the near future to MUST NOT.

This is what deprecation looks like

Yoav

---

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:15:30 +0000

> This is what deprecation looks like

Apologies. I did not read carefully enough. I blame jetlag. :-)