Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-erp-14

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 22:55:13 +0100

Hello,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

--

The security section of this document is pretty simple as it refers to
the security section of 4 related documents and that's all. On the
opposite, each of these 4 documents includes a very detailed security
analysis.  The contrast is extremely important!

This is all the more annoying as draft-ietf-dime-erp-14 introduces new
mechanisms, and thereby new potential threats and issues (it's usually
the case).

What should I understand? Is the proposal guaranteed to be secure?
Or have all the potential weaknesses been already addressed in the
4 related documents? I can not conclude after reading this security section
and this is a problem.

So, I'd like that the authors clarify this, and if need be, I'd like the authors
explicitly mention which items in each of the 4 related documents apply.
It would be helpful IMHO.

Cheers,

   Vincent