Subject: [secdir] SECDIR Review of http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnan-nomcom-tools-01

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:20:27 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

Surprisingly for a non protocol draft, this one actually is almost
completely security requirements. Unfortunately I find it rather hard
to tell if the security architecture meets the security goals because
they are not separated from each other.

I think the document should have a section stating the security goals
or reference another document that states them. Presumably these are
all derived from the Nomcom RFC.

The document specifies creation of a public key but not the algorithm
or strength. Given that this is an RFP, I think it would be
appropriate to completely and uniquely specify the cipher suite to be
supported.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:45:06 -0400

Hi Phil,
  Thanks for the review. Please find responses inline.

> all derived from the Nomcom RFC.

The goals are derived from RFC3777

* Section 3 Rule 6

"     All deliberations and supporting information that relates to
      specific nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates are
      confidential."

* Section 5 Rule 16

"      The nominating committee should archive the information it has
       collected or produced for a period of time not to exceed its
       term.
       ...
       The implementation of the archive should make every reasonable
       effort to ensure that the confidentiality of the information it
       contains is maintained."

> appropriate to completely and uniquely specify the cipher suite to be

As stated in the draft, the key is generated by the Nomcom chair out of
band and not by the tool. In the example provided in Appendix A (based
on what I actually did as chair), the key used is a RSA 2048-bit key.
Since I am not even remotely close to a security expert :-), it would be
great if you can provide suggestions to put in here for future Nomcom
chairs.

Thanks
Suresh