Subject: [secdir] SecDir Review of draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-04

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:56:31 +0100

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) solution is a 
method based on RTP and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) that enables an RTP 
receiver to rapidly acquire and start consuming the RTP multicast data. 
Upon a request from the RTP receiver, an auxiliary unicast RTP 
retransmission session is set up between a retransmission server and the 
RTP receiver, over which the reference information about the new 
multicast stream the RTP receiver is about to join is transmitted at an 
accelerated rate. This document provides example scenarios and discusses 
how the RAMS solution could be used when there are two or more multicast 
streams to be acquired from the same or different multicast RTP sessions.

The document says that it has no security considerations. While I would 
agree that it doesn't add new security considerations to the one defined 
in RFC 6285, I am a bit puzzled why it doesn't say exactly that. RFC 
6285 has very extensive Security Considerations.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:05:10 -0400

> agree that it doesn't add new security considerations to the one defined in
> RFC 6285, I am a bit puzzled why it doesn't say exactly that. RFC 6285 has
> very extensive Security Considerations.

The author has already agreed to incorporate my IESG Evaluation comment, thus:

> Security Considerations:
> Might it not be better to say something like this?:
> "Because this document describes deployment scenarios for RAMS, all security
> considerations are specified in the RAMS specifiction [RFC6285]."

Barry