Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-04

From: Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:44:26 -0600

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

This informational draft describes use cases for the Congestion Exposure (ConEx) protocol
to facilitate efficient traffic management.  It also describes the reasoning of using ConEx
markings at the IP layer.
  
The security consideration section does exist and defers to the ietf-conex-abstract-mech
draft.  The security consideration section of ietf-conex-abstract-mech draft defers to
section 4.4, which is on auditing.  This really should be in its own security consideration
section and should extract specific security threats and how they are mitigated.

General comments:

Not being a ConEx expert, I didn't know what "ConEx markings" really meant when initially
reading the abstract.

Editorial comments:

None.

Shawn.
--