Subject: [secdir] draft-ietf-appsawg-greylisting-06.txt SECDIR review

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:43:51 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This document discusses grey listing, the returning of temporary
failure codes in some SMTP exchanges with mail sources not known to be
good guys, to ameliorate spam.

The technique is very much heuristic so security consideration are,
reasonably, fairly soft rather than the precise, hard edged
formulations of cryptographic security. The discussion of variations
in grey listing, typical spammer behavior, and potential spammer
countermeasures all seem quite reasonable and complete. I do not think
any additional security considerations are required.

EDITORIAL

In one place the draft says "when delivery of mail is timely." when I
think it means "when delivery of mail is time critical." or "when
delivery of mail must be timely.".

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 03:10:24 +0000

Hi Donald.  Thanks for your review.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Donald Eastlake [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:44 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: draft-ietf-appsawg-greylisting-06.txt SECDIR review
> 
> formulations of cryptographic security. The discussion of variations in
> grey listing, typical spammer behavior, and potential spammer

Indeed you're right on that point.  I'll adjust it after LC closes.

Thanks,
-MSK