Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-manet-smf-13

From: Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:02:42 -0700

I know that the telechat has passed, but since I started this before 
then, I have posted the completed review below...

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. 
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security 
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

This experimental draft describes a multicast forwarding design 
specifically for limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc networks (MANET).

The security considerations section does exist.  The section states 
several attacks and provides mitigation of the associated attack.  Most 
of the attacks listed are related to DoS.  Solutions to some of these 
issues involve caching TTL/hop-limits to thwart against an attacker 
replaying packets with reduced TTL/hop-limits.  The section goes on 
reference RFC6130's security consideration section in regards to MANET's 
neighborhood discovery protocol (NHDP).  I had originally reviewed that 
draft as well and had found no additional concerns.

General comments:

None.

Editorial comments:

Well written, thank you.

Shawn.
--

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 15:12:52 -0500

Shawn:

I want to thank you for the comments and your time.

-joe

On Mar 4, 2012, at 3:02 AM, Shawn Emery wrote:

> 
> I know that the telechat has passed, but since I started this before then, I have posted the completed review below...
> 
> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
> 
> This experimental draft describes a multicast forwarding design specifically for limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc networks (MANET).
> 
> The security considerations section does exist.  The section states several attacks and provides mitigation of the associated attack.  Most of the attacks listed are related to DoS.  Solutions to some of these issues involve caching TTL/hop-limits to thwart against an attacker replaying packets with reduced TTL/hop-limits.  The section goes on reference RFC6130's security consideration section in regards to MANET's neighborhood discovery protocol (NHDP).  I had originally reviewed that draft as well and had found no additional concerns.
> 
> General comments:
> 
> None.
> 
> Editorial comments:
> 
> Well written, thank you.
> 
> Shawn.
> -- 
>