Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-lfa-applicability-04

From: Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:41:18 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

This informational draft describes optimizations for Loop-Free Alternates (LFA)
in Service Provider (SP) networks.

The security considerations section does exist and states that there is
no new security considerations, which I believe to be the case.

General comments:

Not being a routing expert this was slow to read (e.g. not knowing some of the
unexpanded abbreviations and terminology).  As a result, the editorial comments are just
from the Abstract and Introduction sections.

Editorial comments:

s/applicability of LoopFree Alternates/applicability of LoopFree Alternates (LFA)/
s/Service Provider networks/Service Provider (SP) networks/
I haven't looked the common abbreviations list, but should ISIS, et. al. be expanded?

Shawn.
--

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:10:15 +0000

> I haven't looked the common abbreviations list, but should ISIS, et. 
Shawn

Thank you for your review, and for picking up an inconsistency that we 
had all
missed. "ISIS" is well known, but technically it should be IS-IS.

There is some security text that is in previous work on this subject
that it is useful to reference that I have added in via an editor's note.

For everyone's benefit I append the editors notes for the document.

Though out the document please:
s/ISIS/IS-IS/
s/LoopFree/loop-free/

Then

In section 1

Old
In this document, we analyze the applicability of LoopFree Alternates
in both core and access parts of Service Provider networks.
New
In this document, we analyze the applicability of Loop-Free Alternates (LFA)
[RFC5714][RFC5286] in both core and access parts of Service Provider (SP)
networks.
End

=====
In References add normative ref to RFC 5286

=====

In Section 8

Old
This document does not introduce any new security considerations.
New
The security considerations applicable to LFAs are described in
RFC5286. This document does not introduce any new security
considerations.
End

=====

- Stewart