Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dns-tcp-requirements-03

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:36:15 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This is a good document, and I have no significant issues with it.
It's ready to go.

I have only one minor comment, in the Security Considerations section:

   At the time of writing the vast majority of TLD authority servers and
   all of the root name servers support TCP and the author knows of no
   evidence to suggest that TCP-based DoS attacks against existing DNS
   infrastructure are commonplace.

Since this is a working group document, not an individual or
independent submission, I'd rather see "and the dnsext working group
knows of no evidence", to stress that the fact was reviewed by the
working group, and the statement has working group consensus.  This
is, of course, assuming that that's truly the case -- if it is not,
then I do have an issue with that.

-- Barry Leiba

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:49:37 +0000

Well, during the substantial WG review the working group didn't tell me of any TCP-based DoS attacks against DNS, so in that respect the author _still_ knows of no evidence... ;-)

Olafur - what would you recommend?

Ray