Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-c1222-transport-over-ip [WAS: Re: Secdir review of draft-altmann-tls-channel-bindings-10]

From: Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:19:30 -0700

Yes, sorry about that - it is for the draft-c1222 .../Magnus

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Given that I have made this same copy-and-paste error in the past: this review is for draft-c1222-transport-over-ip, not the one in the Subject: line.
>
> At 10:31 AM -0700 6/27/10, Magnus Nyström wrote:
>>I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
>>ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
>>IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
>>security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
>>these comments just like any other last call comments.
>>
>>This document defines a framework for transporting ANSI C12.22
>>advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) messages on IP networks.
>>
>>AMI is intended for interaction with various types of utility meters;
>>as such, it is clear that security services such as data authenticity,
>>integrity and confidentiality will be quite important.  This draft
>>defers to ANSI C12.22 for application-layer security and states that
>>any transport (or IP) network layer security security functionality
>>shall act "only to enhance and preserve [and] ... not be a substitute
>>for ... ANSI C12.22 ... security provisions." This is all good but I
>>have not had access to C12.22 for this review and so cannot comment
>>further on it. It seems to me, however, that the layering of C12.22
>>on top of IP networks may warrant a discussion about potential methods
>>to enhance C12.22 security? For example, could privacy be enhanced
>>beyond what C12.22 offers through use of a transport network's
>>confidentiality services?
>>
>>Other than this I have no particular comments on this draft; it reads
>>good to me.
>>-- Magnus
>>_______________________________________________
>>secdir mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir
>
>

-- 
-- Magnus