Subject: [secdir] SecDir Review of draft-krawczyk-hkdf-01.txt

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:05:22 -0500

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. Document
editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last
call comments.

This draft specifies an HMAC key derivation function that is divided into
two steps: an extract step to get a fixed length pseudo-random key from some
inputs and an expand step which expands this pseudo-random key into the
desired output keying material.

It appears to be simple, useful, and, to my very limited cryptographic
judgement, secure.

Editorial:

Section 2.1, page 3, "has always" -> "always has"

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
155 Beaver Street
Milford, MA 01757 USA
[email-masked]