Subject: [secdir] Review of

From: "Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:30:12 -0700

Camellia Cipher Suites for TLS
draft-kato-tls-rfc4132bis-04

Do not be alarmed.  I have reviewed this document as part of the
security directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents
being processed by the IESG.  These comments were written primarily
for the benefit of the security area directors.  Document editors and
WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call
comments.

The document is intended to define identifiers for 12 new
ciphersuites for TLS.  The suites are duplicates of
existing ones, except that they use HMAC-SHA-256 instead of
HMAC-SHA.  The suites are restricted to implementations
of TLS 1.2 and later.

The only oddity in the document is that the identifiers for the new
suites are TBD.  The document states:

 "IANA is requested to allocate (has allocated) the following numbers
 in the TLS Cipher Suite Registry:"

Are the authors supposed to submit the document and update the numbers
per IANA advice at some later time?  The wording indicates some
confusion over this point.

Hilarie

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:40:05 -0500

> confusion over this point.

The IANA Considerations are written so that it reads correctly before
and after IANA processes the request.  The RFC-Editor will work with
IANA and fill in the correct values once it's been processed, so I don't
think this should be a major concern.

> Hilarie

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:09:53 -0500 (EST)

(I'm replying in part to change the Subject line to include the 
draft name, since that's how our ADs and others find these reviews.)

And Derek's right about IANA.  For most IANA registries, IANA isn't 
supposed to give the assignment until the doc is published.  The TBA 
placeholder and future-tense text will get replaced during the 
publication cycle when the assignment is made.  Some docs suggest a 
particular number to IANA, if only implicitly, but that's not 
necessary.

-- Sam

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Hilarie Orman wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> secdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir
>
>