Subject: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-rohc-ipsec-extensions-hcoipsec-05

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:07:47 -0400

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

   Integrating Robust Header Compression (ROHC) with IPsec
   (ROHCoIPsec) offers the combined benefits of IP security services
   and efficient bandwidth utilization.  However, in order to
   integrate ROHC with IPsec, extensions to the SPD and SAD are
   required.  This document describes the IPsec extensions required to
   support ROHCoIPsec.

While not a security issue, I believe that you should include the
expansion of ROHC in the Abstract.

I believe the security considerations section adequately provide
guidance for the pitfalls of poor algorithm choice and known traffic
analysis attacks.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant