Subject: [SAM] CFP: Nov 2011 IEEE Communications Magazine, Consumer Communications and Networking Series

From: Dr Mario Kolberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:52:56 +0000

Apologies, if you receive multiple copies of the email.

Call for Papers

IEEE Communications Magazine

Consumer Communications and Networking Series

Recent trends in consumer networking are that consumers are both
creators and producers of content (albeit of varying quality!) and peer
distribution is the natural model. This is one of the emerging trends
that impact how consumers can use devices to create, manipulate, store,
and access content — and is surely a much different view compared to
only five years ago where most experts still viewed the world in terms
of servers and clients, producers and consumers as distinct and separate
entities….indeed, there are still dinosaur organizations out there today
who are fighting a rearguard action to protect their dwindling revenue
streams because they haven’t been brave enough to embrace this new
model. Trends like this are ones that papers for the consumer
communications and networking series should address.

We have also seen the technological reach of existing solutions being
applied in unconventional ways where all aspects of our digital lives
are being consumed to provide novel platforms where interoperation
between disparate technologies is now possible. For example, the
automotive industry is now producing cars that include ad hoc networks
designed to provide multimedia solutions as well as links to wide area
communications via satellite networks. Using these networking
capabilities and interfaces such as USB we see automobile functionality
being extended. In this sense the boundaries between the car and
conventional consumer devices are beginning to blur.

Perhaps the sole technology responsible for the many technological
advances we see today is communications. Example communications
technologies include the emergence of 3G and 4G, LTE and WiMax,
Bluetooth, Zigbee, Ultrawideband, TV-band, and Powerline and Free space
optical. Applications of these technologies include personal and body
area networking, home networking, game networking, ad-hoc networking,
and sensor networking. These networks may be connected through
networking layers that are cognitive, peer-to-peer enabled, and have the
properties of self organisation and management. These networks will
become key enablers where we are already seeing ubiquitous content
distribution models, for example, television can now be viewed wherever
we are and on any devices capable of connecting to one of the many
networking paradigms defined above. With these networks we can expect a
platform for true innovation where content distribution will overlay
these networks using compression, rights management, delivery, and
appropriate quality of service mechanisms that can be seamlessly moved
over these next generation networks. All of this is made possible by
networking, software and middleware that present to the service designer
the tools to provide ease of use, security, and stunning interactivity
to the end consumer.

With this in mind the IEEE Communications Magazine is seeking papers
that emphasize consumer networking in whatever physical environment it
finds itself. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the
following:

Scope of Contributions

• Wireless Multimedia Networks
• Body and Personal Area Networks
• Mobile Networks and Multimedia
• Emerging Wireless Technologies (UWB, OFDM, RFID, Zigbee, etc.)
• Distributed Network Protocols for Multimedia HD Audio/Video Networking
• Networked Appliances
• Entertainment Networks
• P2P Algorithms and Architectures for Consumer Electronics Peer
Streaming, Networking and Applications
• Home Networking and Automation
• Next Generation Networks
• Pervasive Computing and Contextual Systems
• Middleware for Networked Consumer Devices
• Media and Device Adaptation
• Architecture, Platforms and Protocols for Networked Games and Virtual
Worlds.
• Social Networking and Home Entertainment
• Music and Movie Distribution Models
• Augmented Reality
• Task Computing and the Home
• Home Sensor Networks
• Autonomic Home Networking
• Zero Configuration Networking
• Digital Rights Management
• Trust in Social Networks
• Voice/Video of IP

Articles should be tutorial in nature, with the intended audience being 
all members of the communications technology communities. They should be 
written in a style comprehensible to readers outside the specialty of 
the article. Articles should not exceed 4500 words. Figures and tables 
should be limited to a combined total of six. Complete guidelines for 
prospective authors can be found at: 
http://dl.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/info/pub_guidelines.html. Please 
submit a PDF (preferred) or MSWORD formatted paper by May 1, 2011 via 
Manuscript Central (http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/commag-ieee). 
Register or log in, and go to the Author Center. Follow the instructions 
there. Select the topic "Consumer Communications and Networking Series."

Schedule for Submissions:
Submission Deadline:     	May 1, 2011
Notification of Acceptance:     July 15, 2011
Final Manuscript Due:     	August 15, 2011
Publication Date:     		November 1, 2011

Series Editors:
Mario Kolberg, University of Stirling, Stirling, UK
[email-masked]
Madjid Merabti, Liverpool John Moores University, UK,
[email-masked]
Stanley Moyer, Telcordia Technologies, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
[email-masked]

-- 
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, 
 number SC 011159.