Subject: [saag] PSA: SECDISPATCH Experiment for SAAG in Singapore

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:27:44 -0700

We (Kathleen and EKR) are investigating starting up a DISPATCH-style
process for SEC (tentatively named SECDISPATCH).

Rather than just charter it, we're going to try running it once as an
experiment in Singapore at the end of the SAAG session with Russ
Housley and Nancy Cam-Winget serving as chairs. If that goes well,
we'll look into chartering an actual WG for London [0].

When asking for meeting time, please specify whether you wish to
present at SAAG or SECDISPATCH. Presentations which are appropriate
for SAAG are those of general interest, awareness, etc. Proposals for
new work should be presented at SECDISPATCH

Thanks,
-EKR and Kathleen

[0] Prototype Charter

Charter for Working Group

The Security Dispatch working group is chartered to consider proposals
for new work in the SEC area and identify, or help create, an
appropriate venue for the work. Guiding principles for the proposed
new work include:

1. Providing a clear problem statement, motivation and deliverables
for the proposed new work.

2. Ensuring there has been adequate mailing list discussion reflecting
sufficient interest, individuals have expressed a willingness to
contribute and there is WG consensus before new work is dispatched.

3. Looking for and identifying commonalities and overlap amongst
published or ongoing protocol work. Such commonalities may indicate
the possibility of reusing existing protocols or elements thereof
published by other WGs, or expanding and/or refactoring the scope of
deliverables in an active WG.

4. Protecting the architectural integrity of IETF protocols. Ensuring
sufficient interest in the new work.

5. Ensuring that the new work considers and seeks to improve security
and privacy.

Options for handling new work include:

- Directing the work to an existing WG.
- Developing a proposal for a BOF.
- Developing a charter for a new WG.
- Making recommendations that documents be AD-sponsored (which ADs may
  or may not choose to follow).
- By agreement with SEC ADs, processing simple administrative
  documents (such as code point assignments)
- Deferring the decision for the new work.
- Rejecting the new work.

If the group decides that a particular topic needs to be addressed by
a new WG, the normal IETF chartering process will be followed,
including, for instance, IETF-wide review of the proposed
charter. Proposals for large work efforts SHOULD lead to a BOF where
the topic can be discussed in front of the entire IETF community. The
SECDISPATCH WG will not do any protocol work. Specifically,
SECDISPATCH will always opt to find a location for technical work; the
only work that SECDISPATCH is not required to delegate (or defer, or
reject) is administrative work such as IANA actions. Documents
progressed as AD-sponsored would typically include those that do not
have general applicability to IETF protocols, but rather are only
applicable to specific use cases and network deployments, for which
the scope must be clearly specified.

---

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 17:07:13 -0700

Is there a mailing list or is thing going to use the SAAG mailing list?

Jim

From: saag [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eric Rescorla
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 2:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [saag] PSA: SECDISPATCH Experiment for SAAG in Singapore

Thanks,

-EKR and Kathleen

[0] Prototype Charter

new work include:

and privacy.

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 06:53:13 -0400

SAAG for now as that's what we've used to discuss drafts without a home to date.  If all goes well, we'll settle on a name and set up a list.

Thank you,
Kathleen 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Jim Schaad <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag