Subject: [saag] TEEP tutorial

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 05:32:14 -0400

Hello,

For those not aware, there will be a Trusted Execution Environments
(TEE) and the Open Trust Protocol (OTrP) tutorial today at 13:45-14:45
in Karlin I/II.  This was added to the agenda late, so I wanted to
advertise it here for those interested.

Abstract

Chips used on smart phones, tablets, and many consumer appliances
today have built-in support for a so-called Trusted Execution
Environment (TEE). The Tis a security concept that separates normal
operating systems, like Linux, from code that requires higher security
protection, like security-related code. The underlying idea of this
sandboxing approach is to have a smaller codebase that is better
reviewed and test and to provide it with more rights. They run on the
so-called Secure World (in comparison to the Linux operating system
that would run in the Normal World).

TEEs have been on the market for a while and have been successfully
used for a number of applications, such as payment. However, the
technology hasn't reached its full potential the market is quite
fragmented with vendors offering a larger number of real-time
operating systems running in a TEE.

With the Open Trust Protocol we have been trying to develop an
application layer security protocol that allows the management
(install, update, delete) of trusted applications running on the TEE.

In this talk we will explain the concept of TrustZone (as one example
of a widely deployed technology offering sandboxing) and the Open
Trust Protocol.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen