Subject: [saag] TEEP report for IETF 99

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:19:29 +0300

A Protocol for Dynamic Trusted Execution Environment Enablement (TEEP)
had BoF in Chicago IETF 98, and we decided not to have second BoF
here, but instead aim to have 2nd BoF in Singapore (we were not ready
by the time the BoF requests needed to be in).

After that we have had several webinars explaining the TEEP, and we
had TEEP tutorial on Sunday [3].

We had sidemeeting here in Prague, to work on the charter. There were
about 20 people present in the sidemeeting, plus few participating
remotly, and we bashed the charter to something that in the end was
acceptable for to the people present. Using high bandwidth
face-to-face time for this kind of work seemed very efficient,
compared trying to work it through the email list.

The proposed charter [2] is now posted to the TEEP mailing list [1],
so I encourage interested people to go there and review and comment on
it.

Depending on how the discussions go on with the charter, we are either
having 2nd BoF in Singapore or we might even form the WG before that
and have first WG meeting in Singapore.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/teep
[2] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/teep/Xy5ftFayb4gX6XM9ewQSZFVx2Kc
[3] https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/99/slides/slides-99-edu-sessi-trusted-execution-environments-tee-and-the-open-trust-protocol-otrp-01.pdf

To summarize what TEEP is here is cut & paste of the tutorial
abstract: 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chips used on smart phones, tablets, and many consumer appliances
today have built-in support for a so-called Trusted Execution
Environment (TEE). It is a security concept that separates normal
operating systems, like Linux, from code that requires higher security
protection, like security-related code. The underlying idea of this
sandboxing approach is to have a smaller codebase that is better
reviewed and test and to provide it with more rights. They run on the
so-called Secure World (in comparison to the Linux operating system
that would run in the Normal World).

TEEs have been on the market for a while and have been successfully
used for a number of applications, such as payment. However, the
technology hasn't reached its full potential the market is quite
fragmented with vendors offering a larger number of real-time
operating systems running in a TEE.

With the Open Trust Protocol we have been trying to develop an
application layer security protocol that allows the management
(install, update, delete) of trusted applications running on the TEE.

In this talk we will explain the concept of TrustZone (as one example
of a widely deployed technology offering sandboxing) and the Open
Trust Protocol.
-- 
[email-masked]