Subject: [saag] IRTF side meeting on distributed internet infrastructure

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:30:31 +0200

Hi, all:

It seems likely that some of you may be interested in an IRTF side
meeting on distributed or decentralized internet infrastructure.  Note
that this is a potential activity in the IRTF, not the IETF.

We had some good discussions with interested folks in and outside the
IRTF in the past months and thought that it might be a good time now to
try to start a more structured activity in the IRTF.

The scope would be “Distributed Internet Infrastructure”, I.e., applying
distributed ledger technologies (such as blockchain, but not limited to
it) to Internet technologies, for example to decentralized name
registries, identity management, decentralized web etc.

We have some people looking at the topic from different angles, i.e.,
IoT, decentralized web, Internet architecture and think that there is an
interesting and potentially very productive scope we could work in the IRTF.

The meeting to discuss this will be a side meeting on Monday, July 17,
18:50 to 20:50 in the Karlin III room of the Hilton hotel (meeting
hotel).  Note that it will be streamed live on Meetecho, for those who
are unable to be physically present.

The agenda (as of current planning):

1) Background and Purpose
2) Selected Use Cases and Related Efforts
- Decentralized OAuth
- IoT
- COALA.global
3) Ledger Technology
4) Next steps, RG Formation

We’ll post agenda details, updated etc. on
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/irtf/wiki/blockchain-federation

Thanks,

Dirk and Melinda