Subject: [saag] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-07.txt> (Effect of Pervasive Encryption) to Informational RFC

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:50:53 +0000

Hiya,

As previously discussed here, I've started the IETF LC
for this. Further comments, if you have any, are probably
better directed to [email-masked], though of course I'd
also consider any sent here.

Cheers,
S.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Last Call: <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-07.txt> (Effect of
Pervasive Encryption) to Informational RFC
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:40:50 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Effect of Pervasive Encryption'
  <draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-03-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Increased use of encryption impacts operations for security and
   network management causing a shift in how these functions are
   performed.  In some cases, new methods to both monitor and protect
   data will evolve.  In other cases, the ability to monitor and
   troubleshoot could be eliminated.  This draft includes a collection
   of current security and network management functions that may be
   impacted by the shift to increased use of encryption.  This draft
   does not attempt to solve these problems, but rather document the
   current state to assist in the development of alternate options to
   achieve the intended purpose of the documented practices.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

I-D nits notes that there is one use of a 2119 MUST (which can be
lowercased I guess) and the reference to [SACM] in 5.7 has no matching
entry in section 12, but we can fix those later.
This is an AD-sponsored last call. The relevant AD (Stephen
Farrell) will be escaping the IESG in March, so there may not be time to
get this document approved by the IESG before then,
e.g., if there is substantive discussion during/after IETF LC.
Warren Kumari, (one of the incoming ADs) has agreed to pick
this up should that be necessary. But better to get it over the
line if we do turn out to have IETF consensus for it now.