Subject: [saag] kitten WG status for IETF 96

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:23:27 -0400 (EDT)

Kitten is not meeting in Berlin.

Since Buenos Aires, we have had one document advance to IETF LC
(draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2); the WG is happy with it but the
secdir reviewer would have preferred different choices for the crypto and
that thread is not fully resolved yet.

Another draft, draft-ietf-kitten-pkinit-freshness, is on its way to the
IESG pending a shepherd writeup.

In an attempt to mitigate low working group energy, we have decided to
adopt a new scheme for obtaining and tracking document reviews, instead of
the traditional WGLC period before advancing documents to the IESG.
We'll still get document reviews on the mailing list, but we'll also have
a wiki page per document where the chairs (or other participants) will put
links to the review thread, along with which version of the document was
reviewed and any administrative comments about it.  Once the chairs feel a
document has gotten enough review, we'll let the WG list know we plan to
move it forward and start working on the shepherdd writeup right away,
without a fixed wait period for objections.  This way the reviews don't
all need to come in during a small time window of WGLC.

We hope that this scheme will help us clear the backlog of WG documents
we've accumulated, documents that ought to get published but are in some
sense "insufficiently interesting" to have people championing them and
keeping them moving.

Documents "ready for WGLC" that are good candidates for this experiment
include:

draft-ietf-kitten-krb-auth-indicator
draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-extensions-iana
draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec
draft-ietf-kitten-rfc6112bis (once a new revision gets posted; currently
                              waiting for approval)
draft-ietf-kitten-pkinit-alg-agility
draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis
draft-ietf-kitten-iakerb

-Ben