Subject: [saag] Advice on transient numeric ID generation (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 18:27:28 +0200

Folks,

As with the other I-D, we have submitted this one as a stand-alone
document. It is available at:
<https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00.txt>

This document aims to provide concrete advice for selecting algorithms
for the generation of transient numeric identifiers.

While RFC3552bis might provide general guidance on desirable properties
for transient numeric IDs, we think that selecting an algorithm for
generating transient numeric IDs based on interoperability properties
and associated failure severities deserves its own documents.

We have tried to incorporate many of the comments we've received so far.

Further input will be very welcome.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00.txt
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 09:13:48 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Ivan Arce <[email-masked]>, Fernando Gont
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation
Revision:	00
Title:		On the Generation of Transient Numeric Identifiers
Document date:	2016-07-08
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		30
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-00

Abstract:
   This document performs an analysis of the security and privacy
   implications of different types of "numeric identifiers" used in IETF
   protocols, and tries to categorize them based on their
   interoperability requirements and the associated failure severity
   when such requirements are not met.  Subsequently, it provides advice
   on possible algorithms that could be employed to satisfy the
   interoperability requirements of each identifier type, while
   minimizing the security and privacy implications, thus providing
   guidance to protocol designers and protocol implementers.  Finally,
   describes a number of algorithms that have been employed in real
   implementations to generate transient numeric identifiers and
   analyzes their security and privacy properties.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat