Subject: [saag] Fwd: [TLS] TRON workshop

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:50:02 +0100

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [TLS] TRON workshop
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 22:20:42 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hiya,

First, thanks all for all your ongoing work on TLS1.3. I'm sure we're
all aware that this is important stuff that needs to be, and is being,
done carefully with due attention to security analysis.

Early in the process we had some brief discussion of pausing towards
the end of the work to give folks a chance to do analyses of the
security and other properties of TLS1.3 just before publication of
the RFC.

Chatting with the chairs in Prague and with various others since, we
think we've reached the point where we need to start executing that bit
of the plan, since doing such analyses also takes time and we don't
want to add a big delay if we can avoid it. So we're organising a
workshop on just that topic to be co-located with NDSS in San Diego
in late February 2016.

The call for papers is at [1], please read that and circulate to folks
who you think could produce useful analyses that can help the WG get
an even higher quality TLS1.3 out the door.

I'm sure some of you will be wondering about invites to this workshop
etc. We'll have to see how many submissions we get and the level of
interest and figure out logistics etc closer to time, but this clearly
does need a bunch of folks in the room who are important contributors
to the WG but who won't be submitting papers. I'll work with the
workshop programme committee and the WG chairs to figure out how best
to handle that, via invites, remote access if possible etc. More on
that as we figure it out. (Feel free to send me and/or the WG chairs
your thoughts and offers for help on that.)

And just to clarify a possible process question - this workshop will
provide input - we're hoping that'll be very high quality input but
the normal WG consensus process will be used to process that input in
all the usual ways. Think of TRON as being a mega-big design team on
steroids if that helps. (Lousy imagery, I know:-) If the workshop
indicates that TLS1.3 is fine then that's fairly obviously great, if
there are significant new issues identified though, those will need
to be brought to this list, and to meetings at IETF95, for resolution
via our normal process.

Cheers,
S.

[1]
https://www.internetsociety.org/events/ndss-symposium-2016/tron-workshop-call-papers

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls