Subject: Re: [saag] Possible rechartering of OpenPGP Working Group

From: "Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:31:51 -0600

>  From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>

>  On 16/03/15 16:05, Paul Lambert and/or PHB wrote:
>  > 
>  > Rather than reform to work on "OpenPGP", I think it would be better
>  > to develop a successor standard to S/MIME and OpenPGP that allows a
>  > single message format to be used with either trust model, or with new
>  > trust models.

. + 1

>  It's probably obvious, but if one wanted the above, then organising
>  a bunch of similarly-minded folks would be the thing to do. 

Ignoring the fact that it would take quite a long time for them to
agree on what the goal was, it seems like a good idea.  Quixotic,
but worthwhile.

Hilarie

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 20:38:41 -0400

> agree on what the goal was, it seems like a good idea.  Quixotic,

Well my goal is simply to get as many people using secure mail as we can.
Understanding that 'secure' now means a combination of STARTTLS _and_
end-to-end security.

We don't need to all agree on the same goal.

Looking at the proposals on the list, I think people are looking to change
several parts of the OpenPGP infrastructure. And I think that looking at
the mechanisms they are going to need to achieve seamless interop between
PGPvCurrent and PGPvNext, I can provide a mechanism which allows interop
with the S/MIME formats as well.