Subject: [saag] Review and contribution requested

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:24:57 -0400

Al Morton and I put together the attached draft and are seeking
collaboration between folks with security and operations expertise to
develop it further.  We intentionally left spaces for contributions from
those with expertise in the types of monitoring listed (and ones we didn't
think of).  If you have experience with some of the types of monitoring
covered and the text needs updating, please let us know that as well.

Here is the link to the new draft:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/

Abstract

   Increased use of encryption will impact operations for security and
   network management causing a shift in how these functions are
   performed.  In some cases, new methods to both monitor and protect
   data will evolve.  In more drastic circumstances, the ability to
   monitor may be eliminated.  This draft includes a collection of
   current security and network management functions that may be
   impacted by the shift to increased use of encryption.  This draft
   does not attempt to solve these problems, but rather document the
   current state to assist in the development of alternate options to
   achieve the intended purpose of the documented practices.

-- 

Thank you,
Kathleen

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:14:00 +0000

Hi,

What hides under 8. Operational Monitoring that was not covered already in 2,3,4?

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

From: saag [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kathleen Moriarty
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 5:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)
Subject: [saag] Review and contribution requested

Al Morton and I put together the attached draft and are seeking collaboration between folks with security and operations expertise to develop it further.  We intentionally left spaces for contributions from those with expertise in the types of monitoring listed (and ones we didn't think of).  If you have experience with some of the types of monitoring covered and the text needs updating, please let us know that as well.

Here is the link to the new draft:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dmm-2Dwg-2Deffect-2Dencrypt_&d=AwMFaQ&c=BFpWQw8bsuKpl1SgiZH64Q&r=I4dzGxR31OcNXCJfQzvlsiLQfucBXRucPvdrphpBsFA&m=Q-HfVKKGdgTYIt3zaKlKrTEBk8B5hIWzgpy3tYlVY9A&s=TpL8JKx2NNFQwQ8rlpGC7LZuhsUnXnJamRTaWdIIkLE&e=>

Abstract

--

Thank you,
Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 08:21:02 -0400

Hi Dan,

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2015, at 8:14 AM, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
>  

This is a placeholder in case there are additional types of monitoring that need to be added.  It might be something similar to the incident response section that would be referenced from other places in the draft.  If there is nothing to add in that section, we can remove it.

Your operational experience is far greater than mine and it seems operators have quite a range of experience as well, you feedback and contributions are appreciated if you see gaps or things we didn't get quite right.

Thank you,
Kathleen