Subject: [saag] SIDR summary

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:56:18 -0700

SIDR WG met on Wednesday morning.

New Unified CPS document was posted which combines CPS for RIRs and CPS 
for RIRs, as they were too similar.

Steve Kent presented Local TA Management document. Suggestion to wait 
for a second implementation before finalizing syntax to be used.

Matt Lepinski presented BGPSEC Protocol document. Special handling of 
duplicates would be needed, because some algorithms (e.g. ECSDA) will 
produce different signatures if applied twice to same data. Also some 
discussion on whether revalidation due to changes in RPKI should or 
should not be coordinated with update processing. General feeling that 
arrival of duplicate update should not cause re-validation of the signature.

Summary of the SIDR interim on last Friday followed. Some lovely 
discussion on scaling of SIDR systems, what the target(s) for testing 
should be, how and what to test. It looks like rsync-based 
implementations have some scaling issues, so the WG should start 
discussing if something better can be used in the future (BitTorrent? 
Something HTTP based?)

Presentation on Multiple Publication Points. This changes syntax to list 
multiple. Some disagreement in the room about whether this is actually 
needed. More discussion needed on the mailing list.

Presentation of grandparenting by Randy Bush. Some questions about how 
is this different from just signing on behalf of direct children (they 
differ in a type of legal relationship). The document describes some 
cases when this is needed operationally.