Subject: [saag] fyi: Smart Grid Security and Privacy, and a Case Example in AMI Networks

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:10:13 -0700

of possible interest, this talk will be at Cal Berkeley...

Subject: [Trustseminar] TRUST Seminar: Alvaro Cardenas, (TODAY) 10/6 - 1 PM
From: "Aimee Tabor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 11:48:00 -0700
To: <[email-masked]>,
         <[email-masked]>

Description: Alvaro Cardenas

   Smart Grid Security and Privacy, and a Case Example in AMI Networks

    Alvaro Cardenas <http://www.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/~cardenas/> , Fujitsu
Laboratories of America

    Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    Soda Hall, Wozniak Lounge

Abstract. The smart grid refers to multiple efforts around the globe to
modernize aging power grid infrastructures with new technologies, enabling a
more intelligently networked automated system. The goal of a smart grid is
to deliver energy with greater efficiency, reliability, security and provide
more transparency and choice, to electricity consumers. While the smart grid
promises many benefits, it raises many new security and privacy challenges
with its large-scale deployment of ubiquitous, remotely accessible networked
devices, and their fine-grained data collection.

The first part of this talk will give a broad view on the security and
privacy landscape of the industry and the current efforts by several groups
(like the NIST CSWG, NERC CIP, and state regulators) to secure it and some
of the current gaps. The second part of the talk will focus on a security
study of smart meters and propose attack-detection countermeasures by time
series analysis of smart meter data.

Alvaro Cardenas is a research staff engineer at Fujitsu Laboratories of
America. His research focuses on smart grid, machine learning and
statistical methods applied to security, cyber-physical systems security and
wireless communications for embedded systems and the Internet of Things. He
has received numerous awards for his research including a best paper award
from the U.S. Army Research Office, a best presentation award from the IEEE,
a fellowship from the University of Maryland, and a Distinguished
Assistantship from the Institute of Systems Research. Alvaro holds M.S. and
Ph.D. degrees from the University of Maryland, College Park, and a B.S. from
Universidad de los Andes. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of
California, Berkeley before joining Fujitsu Labs. He was also an invited
visiting professor at the University of Cagliari.

----

Aimée Tabor

Program Manager

TRUST Science & Technology Center

337 E Cory Hall

Berkeley, CA 94720-1774

Phone: (510) 643-5883

Fax: (510) 642-2718

  <http://www.truststc.org/> www.truststc.org