Subject: [saag] fyi: Control System Cyber Security - State of the State

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:04:48 -0700

Of possible interest, this talk will be @stanford, most of the time the talks 
in this series are also webcast, see <http://ee380.stanford.edu> for details...

Subject: [EE CS Colloq] Control System Cyber Security - State of the State *
	4:15PM, Wed Oct 12, 2011 in Skilling Auditorium
From: "Dennis Allison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu,  6 Oct 2011 07:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: [email-masked]

              Stanford EE Computer Systems Colloquium
                  4:15PM, Wednesday, Oct 12, 2011
Skilling Auditorium, Stanford Campus http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    Control System Cyber Security - State of the State

Speaker:  Joe Weiss
           Applied Control Solutions, LLC

About the talk:

Industrial control systems are used in electric power, water,
pipelines, etc. These systems were designed for performance and
safety considerations, not security. Traditional IT security
technologies, policies, and testing may not apply to these
systems. Moreover, there is currently no university with an
interdisciplinary program accross multiple engineering
disciplines to address control system cyber security. There have
already been more than 200 actual control system cyber incidents
to date, though most have not been identified as cyber. In the US
alone, there have been 4 control system cyber incidents that have
killed people, 3 major cyber-related electric outages, 2 nuclear
plants shut down from full power, etc. With the advent of
Stuxnet, cyber has been introduced as an offensive weapon. The
purpose of this presentation is to provide a state-of-the-state
view of control system cyber security.

Resources:

Book: Joe Weiss, Protecting Industrial Control Systems from
Electrionic Threats[2]

CNN video: Idaho 'ground zero' in cyber-terror war[3]

Slides:

There is no downloadable version of the slides for this talk
available at this time.

About the speaker:

(image) Joseph Weiss[4] is an industry expert on control systems
and electronic security of control systems, with more than 35
years of experience in the energy industry. Mr. Weiss spent more
than 14 years at the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
where he led a variety of programs including the Nuclear Plant
Instrumentation and Diagnostics Program, the Fossil Plant
Instrumentation & Controls Program, the Y2K Embedded Systems
Program and, the cyber security for digital control systems.

Contact information:

Joe Weiss
Applied Control Solutions, LLC
(408) 253-7934
(408) 253-7974 Fax
(408) 832-5396 Cell
joe (dot) weiss (at) realtimeacss (dot) com
http://www.realtimeacs.com[5]
blog: http:www.controlglobal.com/unfettered[6]
Book:
http://www.momentumpress.net/books/protecting-industrial-control-systems-electronic-threats[7]

Embedded Links:
[ 1 ]    http://ee380.stanford.edu
[ 2 ] 
http://www.momentumpress.net/books/protecting-industrial-control-systems-electronic-threats
[ 3 ] 
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2011/09/30/simon-point-click-destroy.cnn?iref=allsearch
[ 4 ]    http://ee380.stanford.edu/Abstracts/111012-extbio.html
[ 5 ]    http://www.realtimeacs.com
[ 6 ]    http://www.controlglobal.com/unfettered
[ 7 ] 
http://www.momentumpress.net/books/protecting-industrial-control-systems-electronic-threats

ABOUT THE COLLOQUIUM:

See the Colloquium website, http://ee380.stanford.edu, for scheduled
speakers, FAQ, and additional information.  Stanford and SCPD students
can enroll in EE380 for one unit of credit.  Anyone is welcome to attend;
talks are webcast live and archived for on-demand viewing over the web.

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS SKILLING AUDITORIUM:

The Colloquium meets in Skilling Auditorium on the Stanford Campus.
A map to help you find Skilling Auditorium and parking
can be found at http://ee380.stanford.edu/Skilling-Map.png.  Parking
in most lots is free and unrestricted after 4PM.

MAILING LIST INFORMATION:

This announcement is sent to multiple mailing lists. If you are signed
up on our private EE380 list you can remove yourself using the widget
at the upper left hand corner of the Colloquium web page. Other lists
have other management protocols.