Subject: [saag] Rename PKCS#11 URI 'pinfile' argument to 'pin'?

From: Stef Walter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:48:51 +0200

Hi Jan, everyone,

I've been implementing the PKCS#11 URI scheme a lot recently, and have
gotten quite intimate with it. Thanks for the work on the spec. I've
developed an implementation (which could be used as a reference
implementation):

http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/doc/p11-kit/p11-kit-URIs.html

There's one more change I'd like to suggest: Change attribute 'pinfile'
to 'pin'.

The 'pinfile' argument, is loosely defined. It allows applications to
overload that attribute. Because of this loose definition the name
'pinfile' isn't always appropriate. I think that 'pin' would cover it
much better, and not cause confusions for people new to PKCS#11 URIs.

BTW, we've designed an API around the pinfile argument which allows
libraries and apps in the same process to coordinate use of the PIN
retrieval via the URI pinfile argument.

http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/doc/p11-kit/p11-kit-PIN-Callbacks.html

Cheers,

Stef

---

From: Stef Walter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 13:32:22 +0200

On 08/02/2011 11:59 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> On 08/02/11 08:48, Stef Walter wrote:
> The reason we didn't use 'pin' is because we never wanted the actual
> value of the PKCS#11 PIN as passed to C_Login() to appear in the URI.

Ah yes, good point.

> I agree that 'pinfile' isn't as flexible a name as it could be given
> what kind of thing applications could choose to do with it.

Would 'pinsrc' or 'pin-source' be a good option?

Cheers,

Stef

---

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 10:59:39 +0100

I really won't want it to be called 'pin' but I'm open to names other 
than 'pinfile' some possibilities include: getpin,pincallback,pininput 
and I'm happy to see other suggestions too.

-- 
Darren J Moffat

---

From: Jan Pechanec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:31:04 +0200 (CEST)

>Would 'pinsrc' or 'pin-source' be a good option?

	hi Stef, I agree that pinfile is not the best name, I like your 
pin source suggestion, "pin-source". Would that be OK for everyone?

	there is one more thing, we use "-" in all two word attributes:

library-manufacturer
library-description
library-version

	aside from "objecttype" (and "pinfile"). If we have 
"pin-source", wouldn't it be good to rename "objecttype" to 
"object-type"? That way, we would be consistent in how we create 
attribute names. 

	J. 

-- 
Jan Pechanec
http://blogs.oracle.com/janp

---

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:45:49 +0200

> pin source suggestion, "pin-source". Would that be OK for everyone?

Fine with me.

> "object-type"? That way, we would be consistent in how we create 

I also think being consistent is nice.

regards,
Nikos