Subject: [rtcweb] Fwd: [CFP] FOSDEM 2020, RTC devroom, speakers, volunteers neeeded

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 18:49:47 +0100 (CET)

FOSDEM - Real Time Communications devroom CfP
=============================================

Overview
--------

[FOSDEM](https://fosdem.org) is one of the world's premier meetings of
free software developers, with over five thousand people attending each
year. FOSDEM 2020 takes place 1-2 February 2020 in Brussels, Belgium.

This document contains information about:

-   Real-Time Communications developer room (devroom) and lounge
-   speaking opportunities
-   volunteering in the devroom and lounge
-   social events (the legendary FOSDEM Beer Night and Saturday night
    dinners provide endless networking opportunities)
-   the Planet aggregation sites for RTC blogs

**NEW:** Save yourself entering Free-RTC events and CFP deadlines into
your calendar and task list, follow our iCalendar feed:
https://freertc.org/events.ics

Call for participation - Real Time Communications (RTC)
-------------------------------------------------------

The Real-Time devroom and Real-Time lounge are about all things
involving real-time communication, including: XMPP, SIP, WebRTC,
telephony, mobile VoIP, codecs, peer-to-peer, privacy and encryption.

**We are looking for speakers for the devroom and volunteers and
participants for the tables in the Real-Time lounge.**

The devroom is only on Sunday, 2nd of February 2020. The lounge will be
present for both days.

To discuss the devroom and lounge, please join the [Free-RTC mailing
list](http://lists.freertc.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss).

### Speaking opportunities

Note: if you used FOSDEM Pentabarf before, please use the same
account/username

Real-Time Communications devroom: deadline 23:59 UTC on 15th of
December. Please use the
[Pentabarf](https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20/) system to
submit a talk proposal for the devroom. On the "General" tab, please
look for the "Track" option and choose "Real Time Communications
devroom".

Other devrooms and lightning talks: some speakers may find their topic
is in the scope of more than one devroom. It is encouraged to apply to
more than one devroom and also consider proposing a lightning talk, but
please be kind enough to tell us if you do this by filling out the notes
in the form. Here you can find the [full list of
devrooms](https://www.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/tracks/) and here you can
apply for a [lightning talk](https://fosdem.org/submit).

### First-time speaking?

FOSDEM devrooms are a welcoming environment for people who have never
given a talk before. Please feel free to contact the devroom
administrators personally if you would like to ask any questions about
it.

### Submission guidelines

The Pentabarf system will ask for many of the essential details. Please
remember to re-use your account from previous years if you have one.

In the "Submission notes", please tell us about:

-   The purpose of your talk
-   Any other talk applications (devrooms, lightning talks, main track)
-   Availability constraints and special needs

You can use HTML and links in your bio, abstract and description.

If you maintain a blog, please consider providing us with the URL of a
feed with posts tagged for your RTC-related work.

We will be looking for relevance to the conference and devroom themes,
presentations aimed at developers of free and open source software about
RTC-related topics.

Please feel free to suggest a duration between 20 minutes and 55 minutes
but note that the final decision on talk durations will be made by the
devroom administrators based on the number of received proposals. As the
two previous devrooms have been combined into one, we may decide to give
shorter slots than in previous years so that more speakers can
participate.

Please note FOSDEM aims to record and live-stream all talks. The CC-BY
license is used.

Volunteers needed
-----------------

To make the devroom and lounge run successfully, we are looking for
volunteers:

-   FOSDEM provides video recording equipment and live streaming,
    volunteers are needed to assist in this
-   Organizing one or more restaurant bookings (dependending upon number
    of participants) for the evening of Saturday, 1 February
-   Participation in the Real-Time lounge
-   Circulating this Call for Participation to other mailing lists

Social events and dinners
-------------------------

The traditional FOSDEM beer night occurs on Friday, 31st of January.

On Saturday night, there are usually dinners associated with each of the
devrooms. Most restaurants in Brussels are not so large so these dinners
have space constraints and reservations are essential. Please subscribe
to the [Free-RTC mailing
list](http://lists.freertc.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss) for further
details about the Saturday night dinner options and how you can register
for a seat.

Related events around FOSDEM
----------------------------

As per usual, the [XMPP
Summit](https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Conferences/Summit_24) is happening
ahead of FOSDEM. This time it will take place on the 30th and 31st of
January also in Brussels. All details are available on the [summit
website](https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Conferences/Summit_24).

Spread the word and discuss
---------------------------

If you know of any mailing lists where this CfP would be relevant,
please forward this document. If this devroom excites you, please blog
or microblog about it, especially if you are submitting a talk.

If you regularly blog about RTC topics, please send details about your
blog to the planet site administrators:

-   All projects https://planet.freertc.org [email-masked]
-   XMPP https://planet.jabber.org [email-masked]
-   SIP https://planet.sip5060.net [email-masked]
-   (Español) https://planet.sip5060.net/es/ [email-masked]

Please also link to the Planet sites from your own blog or web site as
this helps everybody in the free real-time communications community.

Contact
-------

For any private queries, contact us directly using the address
[email-masked]** and for any other queries please ask on
the [Free-RTC mailing
list](http://lists.freertc.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss).

The devroom administration team:

-   Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[email-masked]>
-   Ralph Meijer <[email-masked]>
-   Daniel-Constantin Mierla <[email-masked]>
-   Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
-   Guus der Kinderen <[email-masked]>