Subject: [rtcweb] Modifying an approved document: MSID

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:22:14 +0100

When reviewing the implications of the PeerConnection API change to
support AddTrack rather than AddStream, I found an issue.

This issue concerns draft-ietf-rtcweb-msid, which is currently in
REF-WAIT state (I believe).

The issue is that it is possible to add a track without specifying a
stream. Since the track's ID needs to be carried, we have to send an
"a=msid" line, but the track's ID is the *second* field on that line,
with the first being the stream's ID.

This creates a problem.

Suggested fix: Insert two lines in the document:

1) On SDP generation:

"If there is no stream associated with the track, use the reserved ID
value '-'"

2) On SDP parsing

"If the stream ID is the reserved value '-', the track is not associated
with a stream, and no stream is signalled or created."

If this is OK with the community, I'll issue an updated draft with this
change.

-- 
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:30:23 -0800

Howdy,

> REF-WAIT state (I believe).
I think you mean:  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-msid/

which is in the RFC Editor queue in misref (
https://www.rfc-editor.org/current_queue.php)

> If this is OK with the community, I'll issue an updated draft with this
Given the draft string, I believe you have to confirm this way forward with
MMUSIC.

regards,

Ted

> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 07:38:33 -0700

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 3:22 PM, Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Sounds good to me.

---

From: Stefan Håkansson LK <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:50:03 +0000

>> If this is OK with the community, I'll issue an updated draft with this

+1 (though as Ted pointed out it is probably a MMUSIC question rather 
than a rtcweb one)

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:18:07 +0100

Den 19. jan. 2017 13:31, skrev Harald Alvestrand:
> Ted pointed out to me that I sent this to the wrong group.
> 
> Chairs and members, please advise.

My proposed change is here:

https://github.com/alvestrand/rtcweb-msid/pull/16

The filed issue is here:

https://github.com/alvestrand/rtcweb-msid/issues/15

(CCing RTCWEB - please keep discussion, if any, on mmusic)

> 
> 
> 
> -------- Forwarded Message --------
> Subject: 	[rtcweb] Modifying an approved document: MSID
> Date: 	Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:22:14 +0100
> From: 	Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
> To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> 
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
>

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 08:54:10 -0500

Hi Harald

Since the document is not yet in Auth48 and the change is relatively 
minor, it is possible to update it during Auth48.

However, from an MMUSIC chair point of view, I would like to get 
positive confirmation from some of the stakeholders that this change is 
indeed desired. Similarly, if anybody has any concerns with the 
suggested change, please send an e-mail to that effect.

Thanks

-- Flemming (as MMUSIC co-chair)

On 1/23/17 10:18 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> .

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:14:31 +0100

> minor, it is possible to update it during Auth48.

Would it also be OK to submit an updated draft, so that the RFC Editor
doesn't have to waste time incorporating the changes?

> positive confirmation from some of the stakeholders that this change
> is indeed desired. Similarly, if anybody has any concerns with the

I have poked a few people to give their opinion. Will poke again.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 10:20:08 -0800

I am in favor of the change.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 5:54 AM, Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> However, from an MMUSIC chair point of view, I would like to get positive
> confirmation from some of the stakeholders that this change is indeed
> desired. Similarly, if anybody has any concerns with the suggested change,
> please send an e-mail to that effect.
>
> Thanks
>

---

From: Suhas Nandakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 03:46:30 +0000

+1
On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 10:20 AM Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>

---

From: Victor Pascual Avila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:28:54 +0100

fine with me

-- 
Victor Pascual Ávila