Subject: [rtcweb] Should localDescription and remoteDescription should return NULL, if RTCPeerConnection is closed?

From: Kiran Kumar Guduru <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 05:38:49 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

In section 4.1.7 and 4.1.8, JSEP draft specifies that localDescription and remoteDescription should return NULL respectively, if RTCPeerConnection is closed.
But WebRTC working group discrards it as per the discussion in bug 21082.
(https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21082).

As the two specs are out of sync, it is resulting in confusion.

IMHO it is good to modify the JSEP draft for the statement.

"A null object will be returned if the local description has not yet
been established, or if the PeerConnection has been closed."

to

"A null object will be returned if the local description has not yet
been established."

I would like the know the openion of working group for the same.

Thanks,

Kiran.

---

From: Justin Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 15:33:39 -0700

The argument that has been made is that web APIs typically don't reset
themselves when "closed".

As this mostly seems like a matter of style, I'm willing to go along with
this if we can find some specific examples in existing APIs.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Kiran Kumar Guduru <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> In section 4.1.7 and 4.1.8, JSEP draft specifies that localDescription and
> remoteDescription should return NULL respectively, if RTCPeerConnection is
> closed.