Subject: [rtcweb] WebRTC Device: Lowering the bar, or inventing a new term?

From: Kiran Kumar Guduru <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 12:20:55 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I prefer WebRTC "endpoints"  to "devices".

Regards,

Kiran.

When writing the gateway document, I found myself grappling with the
"device" description.

It is somewhat uncomfortable, in that as first defined, it requires full
WebRTC functionality except for the API part - this means that it should
support data channels, full ICE, bundling and so on.

But for gateways, it makes sense to let go of a lot of these
requirements. So a gateway is not a device. But what is the name for the
thing that a gateway is, a device is, and a browser is, that names "the
set of things that can successfully negotiate connectivity"? And what
are the requirements on *that*?

I see a couple of options:

- Redefine "Device" to mean "that which can successfully communicate
with a browser". It's free to negotiate away features if it can, but
needs to interoperate with a browser that implements only the absolute
minimum of what a browser has to implement.

- Define a new class of "thing" which is "the thing that can talk to
browsers" - of which a gateway has to be an exemplar.

This is a kind of word game in some ways, but when we make definitions,
we also define what's easy to talk about. And that can influence what we
end up building.

What do people think?

Harald