Subject: [rtcweb] Review of draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-10

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 21:09:33 -0400

I haven't read the overview carefully in a long time. This time I did.
I came away with the following thoughts:

Terminology:

    Media path:  The path that media data follows from one browser to
       another.

I don't think this is quite right by restricting to browsers. I think 
you mean:

    Media path:  The path that media data follows from one WebRTC device
       to another.

The intent is clear (e.g. from figure 2) but the definition doesn't say it.

Also, why aren't "WebRTC browser" and "WebRTC device" included in the 
Terminology section? Seems like they should be.

Section 5:

    Considerations for the transfer of data that is not in RTP format is
    described in [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-data-channel], and a supporting
    protocol is described in [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol].  Webrtc
    devices MUST implement these two specifications.

Actually ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol only describes a protocol used for 
data channel *establishment*. As such, I think it is technically a 
Connection management protocol. This becomes more evident when you 
consider all the discussion on how to establish channels via SDP.

In principle I think ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol should be referenced from 
section 7. If that seems heretical, then how about at least saying:

    Considerations for the transfer of data that is not in RTP format is
    described in [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-data-channel], and a supporting
    protocol for establishing individual data channels is described in
    [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol].  Webrtc devices MUST implement
    these two specifications.

Otherwise this document is remarkably clear.

	Thanks,
	Paul