Subject: [rtcweb] ARM, Intel, Nvidia to roll out VP9 hardware support in 2014

From: cowwoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:56:27 -0500

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/02/googles-vp9-video-codec-gets-backing-from-arm-nvidia-sony-and-others-gives-4k-video-streaming-a-fighting-chance/

Where would we be without our daily dose of Tech Crunch? :P

The article states that ARM, Broadcom, Intel, LG, Marvell, MediaTek, 
Nvidia, Panasonic, Philips, Qualcomm, RealTek, Samsung, Sigma, Sharp, 
Sony and Toshiba plan to roll out hardware support for VP9 in 2014.

This seems to cast doubt on the validity of Nokia's IPR claim, and the 
FUD that's been going around.

Gili

---

From: "Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 20:47:38 +0000

Did Nokia make a claim against VP9?

Is anyone proposing VP9 as an MTI codec for RTCWEB?

Either the answers to the above are both no, or I slept through 2014 accidentally.

Matthew Kaufman

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rtcweb [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of cowwoc
> Sent: Friday, January 3, 2014 11:56 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rtcweb] ARM, Intel, Nvidia to roll out VP9 hardware support in 2014
> 
> http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/02/googles-vp9-video-codec-gets-backing-
> from-arm-nvidia-sony-and-others-gives-4k-video-streaming-a-fighting-
> chance/
> 
> The article states that ARM, Broadcom, Intel, LG, Marvell, MediaTek, Nvidia,
> Panasonic, Philips, Qualcomm, RealTek, Samsung, Sigma, Sharp, Sony and
> Toshiba plan to roll out hardware support for VP9 in 2014.
> 
> This seems to cast doubt on the validity of Nokia's IPR claim, and the FUD
> that's been going around.
> 
> Gili
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: cowwoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:54:38 -0500

I find it hard to believe that whatever claim Nokia has against VP8 does 
not hold true for VP9. Is anyone seriously making this argument?

Right now we have absolutely no information from Nokia, and nothing 
preventing them from making an equally vague claim against VP9.

Gili

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 02:35:54 +0100

> Sony and Toshiba plan to roll out hardware support for VP9 in 2014.

Of course VP8 has people shipping hardware support too.

http://wiki.webmproject.org/hardware/arm-socs is a (rather old, I think) 
list of chips with embedded VP8 support. But this is so widespread by 
now, TechCrunch doesn't bother mentioning it any more.