Subject: [rtcweb] Proposal for RTCWEB Milestone Update

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:19:22 +0100

WG,

Below you will find a proposal for updating the WGs milestones. This
include creating two new milestones and deleting one. Regarding the
dates, they are though targets, and might not be reached. But to reach
our end of year goal for the core documents we see a need to push hard.
You can also see the order in which we believe the work can be completed
in.

Please provide any feedback on these milestones by 6th of February.

So each milestone we have i listed below with its current date and the
proposed new one.

Old: Oct 2012 	
New: March 2014
Send Security and Privacy Problem Statement (draft-ietf-
rtcweb-security) to IESG for publication as Informational
draft-ietf-rtcweb-security

Old: Oct 2012 	
New: Feb 2014
Complete Overview (and hold for dependency resolution)
(draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview)
draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview

Old: New milestone
New: Dec 2014
Send Overview (after dependencies are ready) to IESG for publication as
Applicability Statement
draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview
Note: This is a new milestone created to show when we believe the
overview truly can be published, i.e. at the end of the set of core
documents.

Old: Oct 2012 	
New: Jan 2014
Send Use Cases document (draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and- requirements)
to IESG for publication as Informational
draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements

Old: Jan 2013 	
New: April 2014
Send Media Transport (draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage) to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage

Old: Jan 2013 	
New: Jun 2014
Send Security Solution (draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch) to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch

Old: Jan 2013 	
New: Sep 2014
Send Signalling Negotiation and NAT Traversal (draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep)
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep

Old: Jan 2013 	
New: April 2014
Audio Processing and Audio Codecs (draft-ietf-rtcweb-audio) to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-audio

Jan 2013 	
New: Dec 2014
Video Processing and Video Codecs (draft-ietf-rtcweb-video) to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard Video Processing and Video Codecs
(draft-ietf-rtcweb-video) to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

Comment: Needs editing to remove double listing. I still think we will
need to produce this document.

Old: May 2013 	
New: Delete
Send Quality of Service markings of RTCWeb packets (draft-
ietf-rtcweb-qos) to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Note: We will delete this milestone for now. If there is need
for an RTCWEB document, we will resurrect it. We expect TSVWG to adopt
their part of this soon.

Old: Mar 2014
New: Sep 2014
Send STUN Usage for Consent Freshness to IESG for publication as
proposed standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-stun-consent-freshness

Old: May 2103 	
New: May 2014
Send Data Stream Transport for non-media data (draft-ietf-
rtcweb-data-channel) to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-channel draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol

Old: New milestone
New: Sep 2014
Send Specification of Transport Protocols and their NAT Traversal to
IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
draft-ietf-rtcweb-transports

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:03:09 +0100

Mostly, this looks realistic.

One place where I'm more optimistic:

> draft-ietf-rtcweb-transports

Given that there has been fairly small controversies here, I feel that 
this should be doable in the same timeframe as rtp-usage - that is, April.

If the chairs' decision is that the normative parts of -firewalls- needs 
to go into -transport-, I would aim this for September.

Note: There is no mention of -firewalls- in the milestones suggested. 
What's the chairs' thinking on this?

           Harald

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:14:55 +0100

> this should be doable in the same timeframe as rtp-usage - that is, April.

That would be great. I am a bit hesitant to put to many documents into
this time-frame. In addition I wonder if we are certain that we have
ensure that all pieces that are required to be part of this document are
known already in April. I am mostly thinking of the ongoing discussions
around NAT traversal protocols. However, if you like to have a shorter
target date, what about June? That should allow both RTP parts, the data
channel parts and this NAT/FW traversal protocol stuff to settled with
no big open ends.

> What's the chairs' thinking on this?

Sorry, this I realize is one editing I should have done, but forgot to
do before sending this out to the WG. I was considering to clarify that
it specifies the protocols used for NAT/FW traversal. But after
discussion the chairs did come to conclusion to keep the milestone
simple. Thus the proposal for milestone text should be:

    Send Specification of Transport Protocols to IESG for publication
    as Proposed Standard

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------