Subject: [rtcweb] Virnetx IPR

From: cowwoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:44:31 -0400

Hi,

     Is WebRTC affected by this?

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/09/01/1233230/apple-now-relaying-all-facetime-calls-due-to-lost-patent-dispute 
and
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/08/virnetx-files-vpn-patent-suit-against-apple-cisco-nec/

Thanks,
Gili

---

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 08:38:59 +1000

FAIK it's unrelated: WebRTC is not using a vpn to establish
connections. But IANAL. :-)
Silvia.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM, cowwoc <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: cowwoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 19:44:34 -0400

Silvia,

     Something doesn't make sense. It's my understanding that Facetime 
involves direct video chat connections (no VPN) and yet Apple was found 
to be infringing Virnetx patents.

     Quoting 
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/report-after-patent-loss-apple-tweaks-facetime-and-logs-500000-complaints/:

Both sides in the litigation admit that if Apple routes its FaceTime 
calls through relay servers, it will avoid infringing the VirnetX 
patents. Once Apple was found to be infringing---and realized it could 
end up paying an ongoing royalty for using FaceTime---*the company 
redesigned the system so that all FaceTime calls would rely on relay 
servers. Lease believes the switch happened in April*.

     This makes me believe the patent affect direct p2p connections.

Gili