Subject: [rtcweb] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:31:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : WebRTC Data Channel Protocol
	Author(s)       : Randell Jesup
                          Salvatore Loreto
                          Michael Tuexen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   The Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC) working group is charged to
   provide protocols to support for direct interactive rich
   communication using audio, video, and data between two peers' web-
   browsers.  This document specifies an actual (minor) protocol for how
   the JS-layer DataChannel objects provide the data channels between
   the peers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:43:38 -0700

Hey Randell, can you give a short summary of the changes, if any, that I
would or other implementors would need to know about?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:11:54 +0200

On Jul 16, 2013, at 2:43 AM, Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey Randell, can you give a short summary of the changes, if any, that I would or other implementors would need to know about?
Hi Peter,

using
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-protocol-04.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol-00.txt
you see that in addition to clarifications and cleanups
* external negotiation of data channels is described
* the packet format of the DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN message as been changed
Both of these changes require code changes.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:19:18 -0700

> you see that in addition to clarifications and cleanups

Oh, now that's a slick tool.  Thanks for the link.

I just wrote the code to serialize and deserialize that message.  Please
tell me we're not going to change it again :).

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:48:46 +0200

On Jul 18, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> 
> 
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I just wrote the code to serialize and deserialize that message.  Please tell me we're not going to change it again :).
I think the format is now pretty good. I don't expect it to change.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: Randell Jesup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:15:43 -0400

On 7/18/2013 11:19 AM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> I just wrote the code to serialize and deserialize that message. 
>  Please tell me we're not going to change it again :).

No, that's the last time.  :-)  That was in response to the "why only 16 
bits?" questions I got.  We changed that internally quite a while ago.

-- 
Randell Jesup
[email-masked]