Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for a JS API for NoPlan (adding multiple sources without encoding them in SDP)

From: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:16:34 +0000

On Jun 29, 2013, at 8:28 PM, Robin Raymond <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Versus this SDP blob that many of us must parse/mangle/generate from our code if we want to go beyond a basic demo:

My assertion has always been we should avoid any JS app needing to touch the SDP. Every example I have heard of why people are doing (with exception of one) it is ones that there has been discussion of providing an API to do that and/or to fix a bug in browsers. (Just as FYI, the one exception is Kaufrman's use of ICE to put things in what is usual done as a MPLS tunnel. There are probably other common ways to solve that problem). 

I like Peter's idea of trying to capture what are the reason people think they need to look at the SDP.

---

From: Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:34:02 -0700

We already have some in the spreadsheet that I previously linked (
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuaKXw3SkHMSdHlZdV9RN0xSWFhybVl4anJLRkVPV0E#gid=0
)

Wolfgang Beck: Muting a call
Lance Stout: Jingle signalling
Gustavo García: Set "inactive", control crypto, modifying codecs, modifying
bitrate,
Philipp Hancke: Jingle signalling
Alexandre Gouaillard: Knowing the codec list, the tranport details, the
bandwidth options, which ice candidates are used or failing
Roman Shpount: Interop between browser SDP and MCU SDP
Silvia : Not trying to mangle SDP yet, but would like to control bandwidth
requests/limitations; bitrate requests; codec settings
Iñaki Baz Castillo: Mangling it, but didn't say for what purpose.

And I could give a very long list of things, but I'll continue to keep
myself disqualified :).

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy)
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> > Versus this SDP blob that many of us must parse/mangle/generate from our
> code if we want to go beyond a basic demo:
>
> My assertion has always been we should avoid any JS app needing to touch
> the SDP. Every example I have heard of why people are doing (with exception
> of one) it is ones that there has been discussion of providing an API to do
> that and/or to fix a bug in browsers. (Just as FYI, the one exception is
> Kaufrman's use of ICE to put things in what is usual done as a MPLS tunnel.
> There are probably other common ways to solve that problem).
>
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:48:58 +0000

On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]> wrote:

> And I could give a very long list of things, but I'll continue to keep myself disqualified :).
> 
> 

Please bring up the long list now - later just delays the discussion …

---

From: Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:10:27 -0700

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll refrain from posting what
I need.  I don't want to make this API just for myself.  I want to make it
for all the developers that are currently using it and the those that will
use it in the future, so I think we should focus on them first.   Perhaps
if we use their input and begin incorporating it into the API, I can
provide secondary input to refine what we work on, but I'd like the primary
input to be from other developers.

I don't want to make the mistake of building an API just for myself and
leaving the developers suffering because I over-focused on myself.   To
avoid that, I think I'll focus on them first.