Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Form of the video codec question

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:39:00 +0100

On 2012-10-31 17:25, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Harald Alvestrand:
>> 
>> However, I believe that my opinion is based enough in facts that
>> it's unlikely that I'll be swayed by a presentation given at the
>> IETF; reading the drafts of the H.264 proponents certainly did not
>> change it.
>> 
> 
> Perfect. If everyone can read the drafts ahead of time and make up
> their mind then we can spend valuable face-to-face time on the
> existing issues plus the three (or more) new items that are coming
> out of W3C this week instead of on the predetermined codec
> discussion.

Matthew,

Your standpoint that any time spent on codec selection is meaningless
has been made clear. I as chair however strongly believe that it is
important that we run through the process we have outlined and
announced. It is possible that the result in Atlanta will be the same as
the one in Paris, but it might also be different. If I was certain about
the outcome we would not spend time on this topic. But there is a number
of people in this WG for which this topic is an important one.

Regarding new issues coming out of the W3C it would be good if someone
could fill in the rest of the WG what has occurred. Trying to have this
WG respond to such raised issues without giving people time to think
over the issues and any proposals would be problematic. So what are the
issue that you like to discuss.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------