Subject: [rtcweb] Measurement techniques, VP8 vs H.264

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:48:12 +0100

Adrian Grange, who's done the H.264 vs VP8 tests we've presented in our 
draft, asked me to forward this message so as to get it into your hands 
ASAP.
His copy will follow as soon as the approvers approve.

-- Begin Adrian's message --

I have made available the source clips, script files, compressed files 
and associated
materials that were used to generate the VP8 vs H.264 comparison results 
included
in our submission:
draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-vp8-00 "VP8 as RTCWEB Mandatory to Implement"

The notes below provide notes on how to access the materials and provide 
a first
pointer on where to look for instructions on how to build the clips.

In addition there are instructions on how to download the resulting 
compressed
video files for both VP8 & H.264.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VP8 versus H264 Tests

Produced for IETF85.

The script files for the tests can be downloaded from:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_vs_h264.tar.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_vs_h264.tar.xz>

It may be reflated using the command:
tar -x --xz vp8_vs_h264.tar.xz

Once deflated you will find a README.txt file explaining how to proceed.

NOTE: The raw test video clips must also be downloaded before the tests
are run and placed in a sub-directory named "video". These clips are a 
little
over 2GB in total and  may be individually downloaded using the 
following links:

http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/desktop_640_360_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/desktop_640_360_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecmotion_1280_720_50.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecmotion_1280_720_50.yuv.xz> 

http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecstat_1280_720_50.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecstat_1280_720_50.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/kirland_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/kirland_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcomoving_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcomoving_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcostationary_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcostationary_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_1280_720_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_1280_720_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomanarrows_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomanarrows_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomasmallcameramovement_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomasmallcameramovement_640_480_30.yuv.xz>
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/thaloundeskmtg_640_480_30.yuv.xz 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/thaloundeskmtg_640_480_30.yuv.xz>

They must each be reflated using the command:
xz -d <filename>.xz
(The original .xz file is automatically deleted).

Alternatively, the resulting compressed clips may be downloaded directly 
using the
following link format:

VP8:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/ 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/><video_name>.webm

H.264:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/ 
<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/><video_name>.mkv

where <video_name> corresposnds to one of the file names in the links above,
e.g. "desktop_640_360_30".

If there are any problems please contact [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>