Subject: [rtcweb] VP8 vs H.264 Comparison data sources

From: Adrian Grange <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:08:22 -0500

I have made available the source clips, script files, compressed files and
associated
materials that were used to generate the VP8 vs H.264 comparison results
included
in our submission:
draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-vp8-00 "VP8 as RTCWEB Mandatory to Implement"

The notes below provide notes on how to access the materials and provide a
first
pointer on where to look for instructions on how to build the clips.

In addition there are instructions on how to download the resulting
compressed
video files for both VP8 & H.264.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VP8 versus H264 Tests

Produced for IETF85.

The script files for the tests can be downloaded from:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_vs_h264.tar.xz

It may be reflated using the command:
tar -x --xz vp8_vs_h264.tar.xz

Once deflated you will find a README.txt file explaining how to proceed.

NOTE: The raw test video clips must also be downloaded before the tests
are run and placed in a sub-directory named "video". These clips are a
little
over 2GB in total and  may be individually downloaded using the following
links:

http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/desktop_640_360_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecmotion_1280_720_50.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/gipsrecstat_1280_720_50.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/kirland_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcomoving_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/macmarcostationary_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_1280_720_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/niklas_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomanarrows_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/tacomasmallcameramovement_640_480_30.yuv.xz
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/thaloundeskmtg_640_480_30.yuv.xz

They must each be reflated using the command:
xz -d <filename>.xz
(The original .xz file is automatically deleted).

Alternatively, the resulting compressed clips may be downloaded directly
using the
following link format:

VP8:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/<video_name>.webm

H.264:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/<video_name>.mkv

where <video_name> corresposnds to one of the file names in the links above,
e.g. "desktop_640_360_30".

If there are any problems please contact [email-masked]

Adrian Grange
Chrome Media Group, Google.

---

From: Adrian Grange <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 16:17:58 -0500

The links to download the encoded clips for the tests were incorrect in the
previous email. The corrected version appears below.

Apologies for the confusion.

Adrian

VP8 versus H264 Tests

Produced for IETF85.

VP8:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/
<video_name>_<rate>kbps.webm

H.264:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/
<video_name>_<rate>kbps.mkv

where <video_name> corresponds to one of the file names in the links above,
e.g. "desktop_640_360_30", and <rate> is the encoded data-rate of the clip,
in the range:
800 to 1500 in steps of 100 for the 1280x720 clips,
100 to 800 in steps of 100 for the remaining clips.

---

From: Adrian Grange <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:24:52 -0500

We added an index file to the clip download page (thanks for the suggestion
TIm), and corrected the path for the H.264 clips. Updated instructions
below:

----------------------------

VP8:

H.264:
http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/h264_videos/<http://downloads.webmproject.org/ietf_tests/vp8_videos/>
<video_name>_<rate>kbps.mkv

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Adrian Grange <[email-masked]> wrote:

> e.g. "desktop_640_360_30", and <rate> is the encoded data-rate of the
> clip, in the range:
>> I have made available the source clips, script files, compressed files
>> and associated
>> The notes below provide notes on how to access the materials and provide
>> a first

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 15:41:07 -0800

On 12-11-05 11:08 AM, Adrian Grange wrote:

> over 2GB in total and  may be individually downloaded using the
> following links:

Thanks for posting your data. Are this clips redistributable? I'd like
to add them to our public collection at media.xiph.org.

 -r

---

From: Adrian Grange <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:43:04 -0500

I'll check to see if that's possible... I would hope that it would be.