Subject: [rtcweb] #2: Section 7.1

From: "rtcweb issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:58:23 -0000

#2: Section 7.1

 Section 7.1 states:

    The circuit breaker defines a conservative boundary condition for safe
 operation,
    chosen such that applications that trigger the circuit breaker will
    almost certainly be causing severe network congestion.

 [BA] While it is true that when circuit breakers are triggered it is
 likely that very severe network congestion is occurring along the path,
 severe network congestion (or even a congestive collapse) will not
 necessarily trigger the circuit breakers. For example, one of the circuit
 breakers is only triggered if *no* packets are received; even in a
 congestive collapse, *some* packets will get through. Therefore the lack
 of circuit breaker triggering does not imply that an application is
 behaving "conservatively" or safely.  Recommend change to:

 "Circuit breakers are designed to enable applications to recognize and
 react to situations of extreme network congestion.  However, since circuit
 breakers may not be triggered until congestion becomes extreme, circuit
 breakers are not a substitute for congestion control and applications
 implementing circuit breakers cannot be considered "conservative" or
 "safe"."

-- 
--------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…     |      Owner:  csp@…
     Type:  defect              |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major               |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rtp-usage           |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/trac/ticket/2>
rtcweb <http://tools.ietf.org/rtcweb/>