Subject: [rtcweb] Consensus Statement for Re: Confirmation of consensus on audio codecs

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 17:11:08 +0200

WG,

We chairs can confirm a strong consensus for both G.711 and Opus as
mandatory to implement audio codecs for RTCWeb based on the WG meeting
and the mailing list.

There have been individuals with other views. Several wanted G.711 only,
which is one of the alternative in the WG meeting's consensus decision.
These additional opinions have not altered the chairs view that there is
strong consensus for G.711 and Opus.

The Chairs take note of two other aspects which were raised in the
discussion on the mailing list;

First, that some argued for including also G.722 as mandatory to
implement codec and several more have proposed it to be listed as SHOULD
be implemented. Based on the consensus in the WG this is clearly not
mandatory to implement. When it comes recommending additional codecs to
be implemented there has been views expressed previously that any such
recommendations would not be particular useful and only increase the
amount of contention in the WG.

Based on the discussion to date, the chairs will run a consensus call on
whether the WG should recommend specific codecs which will not be
mandatory to implement (i.e. will the document contain SHOULDs as well
as MUSTs for codec implementation)".  If the response to that consensus
call indicates consensus for non-mandatory to implement recommendations,
we will run consensus calls on those codecs to be included at that level.

Secondly, there were views and suggestions that we should not make a
decision for mandatory to implement codecs at this point in time.  The
working group had previously indicated strong consensus to choose a
mandatory to implement codec in this space, to avoid interoperability
failure.  We do not believe that reconsideration of this decision is
required at this time, and we believe that the support for the current
consensus is strong, if not perfect.

The WG chairs
Ted, Cullen and Magnus