Subject: Re: [rtcweb] RTCWEB needs an Internet Codec

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:29:33 -0700

At 10:41 PM -0500 8/28/12, Alan Johnston wrote:

>  The RTCWEB effort needs an Internet codec.  This is why Opus is the
>  right choice.  RTCWEB also needs one codec for backwards compatibility
>  with the VoIP world.  This is why G.711 is also the right choice.
>
>  Any G.mumble codec is NOT an Internet codec and will not have the same
>  performance on the Internet as one that was designed for the Internet!
>   If anyone doesn't understand what that means, go back and examine the
>  CODEC Working Group archives to get educated.
>
>  If someone wants another codec instead of Opus, then they need to
>  propose another Internet codec.  Otherwise, we are not serving the
>  Internet.

We only need one mandatory audio codec.  Everything else can be left 
up to implementations and experience.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen
and stupidity.                           --Harlan Ellison

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:20:50 -0700

On 29/08/12 09:29 AM, Randall Gellens wrote:

> We only need one mandatory audio codec.  Everything else can be left up
> to implementations and experience.

I am in favour of both G.711 and Opus as MTI codecs. We need Opus to 
support all the use cases this working group chose to address and to 
offer a technically compelling standard.

In addition, I want G.711 for testing reasons. As an uncompressed format 
it simplifies debugging interoperability issues and bootstrap 
implementations, because you can just look at the data. This is 
especially so for developers not familiar with the details of particular 
codecs. Having *two* manditory to implement codecs ensures that codec 
selection is properly tested in even minimal implementations. I think 
that's a good thing.

  -r