Subject: [rtcweb] H.264's freeness for Internet apps

From: Emil Ivov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:12:16 +0200

On February 2, 2010 MPEG-LA made an announcemnt that sounded like it
would not charge royalties for Internet video:

http://www.mpegla.com/main/Pages/Media.aspx

Does anyone have an idea as to how the exact licensing text would
apply to RTC[web] applications?

Emil

---

From: Monty Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:23:03 -0400

> would not charge royalties for Internet video:

There had been worry that the h.264 pool would add new royalties to
the content streams themselves in 2015; The announcement was that
there would be no new royalties in 2015, not that any existing
royalties were going away.

And yes, the exact wording confused many tech reporters who took it to
mean "H.264 is free now!"

Monty