Subject: [rtcweb] Fast restart problem statement

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:00:33 -0700

I feel like there are actually three different problem statements:

* Web-only invisible restart: the ability for a pair of web-based applications
to re-start a call upon re-load in a user-invisible way, i.e., without prompting
the user to answer the call, authorize media, etc.

* Web-only fast restart: Web-only invisible restart but optimized to be
faster than an initial call.

* Interoperable invisible restart: Like Web-only invisible restart but where
one side is RTCWEB and the other side is an unmodified SIP/Jingle
device.

* Interoperable fast restart: like Interoperable invisible restart but optimized
to be faster than an initial call.

-Ekr

---

From: Anant Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:43:01 +0200

> I feel like there are actually three different problem statements:

It looks like you listed four :)

> faster than an initial call.

Why wouldn't we always make invisible restarts as fast as possible?

-Anant

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:45:27 -0700

> Why wouldn't we always make invisible restarts as fast as possible?

If it required defining new protocol mechanisms, for instance.

-Ekr