Subject: [rtcweb] Back-to-back RTP endpoint topology in RTCWeb

From: "Ravindran, Parthasarathi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:46:15 +0000

Hi Magnus & all,

I like the list of RTP topology mentioned in your interim presentation. I thought of asking for one more topology namely Back-to-back RTP endpoint topology in RTCWeb. The topology is as follows:

     RTP endpoint-----Back-to-back RTP Endpoint-----RTP Endpoint

The reason for Back-to-back RTP Endpoint topology are

1) WebRTC RTP Endpoint to legacy RTP Endpoint (RFC 3550) interop
2) IP address hiding in WebRTC session

Even though, Back-to-back RTP Endpoint *MUST* follow RTP Endpoint behavior, the requirement will be bit more than that as the linkage with identity, ICE consent, RTCP mandate, set of RTP draft mandates and other stuffs. Also, the guidelines document for back-to-back RTP Endpoint shall avoid the blame of intermediate devices always break the architecture. 

I'm interested in hearing whether Back-to-back RTP endpoint topology is of interest in RTCWeb.

Thanks
Partha

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:15:35 +0200

Hi Partha,

I think there is several different realizations of this.

If you goal is only to hide one end-points IP address to the other it
can be the relay topology, with an 1-1 participation. In fact you don't
really need to discuss this as an RTP topology at all as all operations
are on IP and Transport level. A TURN server will do perform this hiding
in one direction. A web service controlled relay node could do this for
both end-points.

If your goal is something additional I would claim that this falls in
the broad category of things gateways do. The problem is as soon as you
enable any RTP/RTCP level of modifications you end up as node needing to
be trusted and part of the security contexts.

I didn't bring up gateways as they are a bit undefined in their
operations as it depends on which aspect they need to change. My general
classification of gateways are that they are devices that lets the
combination of the peer end-point plus the gateway look like a node
expected or at least supported by the communicating party.

Cheers

Magnus

On 2012-06-13 12:46, Ravindran, Parthasarathi wrote:
> Hi Magnus & all,
> 
> I like the list of RTP topology mentioned in your interim
> presentation. I thought of asking for one more topology namely
> Back-to-back RTP endpoint topology in RTCWeb. The topology is as
> follows:
> 
> 1) WebRTC RTP Endpoint to legacy RTP Endpoint (RFC 3550) interop 2)
> IP address hiding in WebRTC session
> 
> Even though, Back-to-back RTP Endpoint *MUST* follow RTP Endpoint
> behavior, the requirement will be bit more than that as the linkage
> with identity, ICE consent, RTCP mandate, set of RTP draft mandates
> and other stuffs. Also, the guidelines document for back-to-back RTP
> Endpoint shall avoid the blame of intermediate devices always break
> the architecture.
> 
> Thanks Partha

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------