Subject: [rtcweb] Just browser-browser and browser-"gateway"? is this an RTCweb assumption?

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:33:35 +0200

Hi, by reading RTCWeb Minutes IETF 83 [1] it seems that most of the
folks here assume that WebRTC *media* communication can be done in two
ways:

  1) browser to browser (perhaps with a TURN server)
  2) browser to gateway

So... what about browser to SIP phone and browser to XMPP/Jingle
endpoint (assuming ICE and SDES-SRTP support)?

IMHO assuming that a media gateway is required for any browser to
non-browser media communication is an artificial limitation. If so,
why does RTCweb makes use of RTP and SDP? why not creating its own
"media streaming protocol for RTCweb"?

I hope this subject is clarified and such an assumption relaxed.
Interoperability (*whithout* media gateways) is a good feature and
makes RTCweb adoption easier. Not all the people interested in RTCweb
are gateways vendors.

NOTE: I do *not* mean supporting plain and insecure RTP.

Regards.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/minutes/minutes-83-rtcweb.htm

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:39:06 +0200

> endpoint (assuming ICE and SDES-SRTP support)?
 From -overview section 3:

    As for all protocol and API specifications, there is no restriction
    that the protocols can only be used to talk to another browser; since
    they are fully specified, any device that implements the protocols
    faithfully should be able to interoperate with the application
    running in the browser.

Not all of us have been making the assumption you cite.
> NOTE: I do *not* mean supporting plain and insecure RTP.

I agree, and that's the way the documents have been written "forever".
But the burden is 1) on the RTCWEB group to define what the protocols 
are, and 2) on the other devices to conform to those protocols.

           Harald

---

From: Roman Shpount <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:39:15 -0400

What about browser to a media server? Does anybody want to do, for
instance, video upload from the browser to a video sharing site?
_____________
Roman Shpount

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:54:54 +0200

2012/4/13 Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>:
> But the burden is 1) on the RTCWEB group to define what the protocols are,
> and 2) on the other devices to conform to those protocols.

Right. But the more *new* RTCweb media specifications are required,
the harder it will interoperate with other protocols.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:59:31 +0200

> instance, video upload from the browser to a video sharing site?
Not necessarily real-time, so may be out of scope for RTCWEB, but people 
are definitely interested.

For those who want to read about scenarios that don't necessarily 
involve real-time communication, but will most probably involve 
getUserMedia, I recommend this document:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html

It's being used to drive requirements on the getUserMedia API in the W3C.

                      Harald

---

From: "Jim Barnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:50:19 -0700

There's a W3C group that  is interested in this, in the form of speech enabling HTML 5 pages (i.e. adding text-to-speech and  speech-to-text capabilities).  We are hoping to use the rtcweb work as part of this.  We'd have a browser one end, a media/IVR server on the other, and voice and data channels.  There's been no specific mention of  video so far, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't  be added.

-          Jim

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roman Shpount
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:39 AM
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Just browser-browser and browser-"gateway"? is this an RTCweb assumption?

What about browser to a media server? Does anybody want to do, for instance, video upload from the browser to a video sharing site? 
_____________
Roman Shpount

Regards.