Subject: [rtcweb] Proposal for media receiver request of codec parameter changes (draft-westerlund-avtext-codec-operation-point-00)

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:55:17 +0100

WG,

As an individual I would like to inform you that my colleagues and I
have submitted a proposal to AVTEXT WG. This proposal is an RTCP
extension that enables RTP session participants to request the media
sender to adjust its media parameters, like video resolution.

The draft can be retrieved here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtext-codec-operation-point/

One use case we have designed this for is to enable the dynamic updates
codec parameters as result of WebRTC applications usage of media
streams. If the application changes the rendering layout or the user
changes the browser window size, the size of a video playout can change.
This may happen in a quite dynamic way and often enough that we think
using a mechanism where the receiver can use a request over the media
plane rather than the signalling plane to adjust the parameters will
give a more responsive and satisfying experience. We have also designed
it with centralized conferencing into mind, allowing the central node to
aggregate requests to best suit the whole population.

We request that feedback on the actual extension are directed to the
AVTEXT WG mailing list: [email-masked]

I am happy to discuss the usage and applicability to WebRTC on this list.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:50:46 +0100

Hi,

To make it clear. There is an IPR disclosure on this draft from Ericsson.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1701/

Regards

Magnus

On 2012-03-08 13:55, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund