Subject: [rtcweb] Additional keying mechanisms for media security for discussion

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:47:05 +0200

WG,

In addition to the consensus in todays meeting (see other email) there
was no consensus established about if there should be additional keying
mechanisms.

We did a consensus call if in addition to DTLS-SRTP:

a) Security Description SHALL be mandatory to also implement

b) Security Description SHALL NOT be mandatory to also implement

This consensus call was clearly tied. We will continue to discuss this
with the goal to make a decision at a later point.

We chairs also deferred the question if EKT is a mechanism that shall or
be recommended to be supported. So please discuss this also.

Regards

Magnus Westerlund
WG chair

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:20:56 +0200

(b)

On 3/28/12 6:47 PM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:01:50 +0200

> with the goal to make a decision at a later point.

I vote for (a). Rationale: SRTP-SDES is proven to work and it's widely
implemented. It is not the perfect solution but it's easy to implement
and much better than plain RTP.

NOTE: Of course I also vote for SRTP-DTLS to be mandatory (for which
AFAIK there is already consensus: it MUST be implemented).

> be recommended to be supported. So please discuss this also.

That's still less tested than DTLS-SRTP, so I vote for "SHALL NOT be
mandatory to also implement" (at least for now).

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>