Subject: [rtcweb] Resolving RTP/SDES question in Paris

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:35:24 +0100

WG,

There has been extensive discussion at WG meetings at whether we need
to support SDES and RTP in addition to DTLS-SRTP. The architecture
draft currently has a giant "Open Issue" text around the question of
the appropriate level of support for modes less secure that DTLS-SRTP.
The draft currently implicitly allows but does not require these modes:

  Implementations MUST implement DTLS and DTLS-SRTP.  All data channels
  MUST be secured via DTLS.  DTLS-SRTP MUST be offered for every media
  channel and MUST be the default; i.e., if an implementation receives
  an offer for DTLS-SRTP and SDES and/or plain RTP, DTLS-SRTP MUST be
  selected.

The chairs intend to use significant meeting time in Paris
with an aim to reach consensus around this issue. Please consider this
thread an invitation to discuss this topic on the list. In Paris,
we intend to have a presentation summarizing the discussion so far,
digging into the details of different possible outcomes and of
the arguments have been raised in order to set the stage for
a discussion and a consensus call.

Please come prepared to have that discussion in Paris.

Magnus Westerlund
(For the WG chairs)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------