Subject: [rtcweb] JSEP and browser reloads

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:03:14 -0800

The JSEP draft states an explicit goal of dealing with the case where 
there is a page reload. The document argues that this is a motivation 
for removing the O/A state machine out of the browser, and placing it 
into the JS/server. On this, I agree.

However, extraction of the O/A state machine from the browser is 
necessary - but NOT sufficient - to enable rapid re-establishment of 
streams upon browser reload. The browser still holds the ICE state 
machine, which arguably takes longer to run and has more state than the 
O/A machine. Without also extracting the ICE state machine, we will not 
solve the browser reload problem.

To be clear - the key use case is that a user is in the middle of a call 
embedded in a page, and while talking, is clicking around in that page. 
We want to make sure that the call can continue as quickly as possible 
once the page reloads. Ideally, the JS would be able to directly 
instruct the browser to conduct a single connectivity check and then 
start sending media immediately, using previously established keying 
materials and media destinations. I do not see how the JSEP draft 
enables that.

Do people feel we need to solve the problem of "rapid rehydration" of 
the media stream on page reload? I think so.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:34:09 +0100

Yes "Rapid rehydration" is a problem we need to solve.

It is one of the pro's for the JSEP mechanism so this looks like it would be further improvement. If it can be done without too much impact on the application then that would be nice as well.

Regards
Andy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Jonathan Rosenberg
> Sent: 31 January 2012 14:03
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rtcweb] JSEP and browser reloads
> 
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb