Subject: [rtcweb] draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-06.txt, A12, monitoring quality

From: Wolfgang Beck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:33:51 +0100

Section 5.2, Browser Requirements
"   A12             The Web API MUST provide means for
                   informing the web application when high
                   loss rates occur."

Wouldn't it make sense to have a more general API that provides access
to RTP/RTCP performance counters? A smart JS client might analyze the
counters and suggest solutions, like 'fix your fine NAT
configuration'. Providers like to see that data to detect and fix
problems, too.

Wolfgang Beck

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:21:20 -0700

> configuration'. Providers like to see that data to detect and fix
Since this is an application API requirement, this discussion belongs in 
the WEBRTC WG, reply-to: set accordingly.

In the discussions at the TPAC this week, it was felt that counters 
should be provided for things like packet loss. A regularly scheduled 
function that reads the lost-packet counter every few seconds and sends 
an alert when it's increasing "too fast" would then satisfy this 
requirement - a good question may be how quickly it's reasonable for the 
application to be informed that such a condition exists; my feeling is 
that "within a few seconds" is fine, but others may have other opinions.

The editor team has (I believe) taken on the task of coming up with a 
first proposal for such a metrics interface.

                   Harald

---

From: Stefan Håkansson LK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:35:09 +0100

> configuration'. Providers like to see that data to detect and fix

Sounds like a good idea to me, and we reasoned along these lines at the 
W3C meeting the other week. I think there is even an action on someone 
to draft that API!

>
>
> Wolfgang Beck
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 00:21:25 +0800

On 11/16/2011 11:35 PM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea to me, and we reasoned along these lines at 
> the W3C meeting the other week. I think there is even an action on 
> someone to draft that API!
It's even in the WEBRTC Tracker, assigned to Adam Bergkvist on behalf of 
the editing team:

http://www.w3.org/2011/04/webrtc/track/actions/12

All input is welcome - on [email-masked]!

                     Harald