Subject: [rtcweb] SIP on the Web: presentation and video

From: José Luis Millán <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:28:48 +0200

Hi,

Some weeks ago we made a concrete proposal for signalling between Web
browser and server in RTCweb. Such a definition was described in
"draft-ibc-rtcweb-sip-websocket-00".

We don't advocate for a default signaling protocol in RTCweb (not at all).
Current proposal is just an example of a working signaling for RTCweb based
on SIP and carried over WebSocket.

We have just uploaded a video demo in which there can be seen a real
implementation of the mentioned draft.

The components of the signalling architecture are a WebSocket capable
SIP proxy and a SIP stack written in JavaScript. These are needed to
make the browser became a real SIP node, capable to interact with real
SIP World.

We would like to emphasize that the aim of this video is nothing but
showing an implementation of the proposed signalling.

We wish you enjoy.

http://sip-on-the-web.aliax.net.

Regards.

Iñaki Baz <[email-masked]>
José Luis Millán <[email-masked]>

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:46:02 +0200

> http://sip-on-the-web.aliax.net.

Hi, the video is at the end of the HTML presentation. Direct links anyhow:

- Ogg Vorbis video (17 MB) - http://sip-on-the-web.aliax.net/sip-on-the-web.ogv
- MP4 video (5.7 MB) - http://sip-on-the-web.aliax.net/sip-on-the-web.mp4
- AVI video (46 MB) - http://sip-on-the-web.aliax.net/sip-on-the-web.avi

Regards.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Neil Stratford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:49:40 +0100

> showing an implementation of the proposed signalling.

This is a great demo of what you can do in javascript.

How would you deal with SIP credentials if you didn't want to expose them to
the user but instead use an existing authenticated web session? Would it
require a custom SIP authentication scheme to be implemented in the SIP
proxy/registrar?

Neil

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:57:59 +0200

> This is a great demo of what you can do in javascript.

I hope the SIP proxy implementing WebSocket transport is also an
important piece :)

> require a custom SIP authentication scheme to be implemented in the SIP

Good question. There are some alternatives:

WebSocket allows sending a "Cookie" header during the WebSocket
handshake between client and server (which is a HTTP GET request).
Such "Cookie" header is populated by the *web* server once the user
has logged in the web (by following any existing login mechanism).
Then the WebSocket server could validate the "Cookie" header in order
to authenticate SIP requests from the user.
If the proxy implementing WebSocket transport is just an outbound
proxy (not a registrar for example) it could add a
"P-Asserted-Identity" header to the SIP REGISTER request before
routing it to the registrar server.

Another alternative would be: the user (the web browser) retrieves his
SIP username and password from the web server (hopefully by mandating
HTTPS) and uses them to calculate the Digest credentials when the SIP
proxy replies 401/407.

Regards.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:13:36 +0200

Hi Iñaki and José, 

We've added SIP over WebSocket support to cipango (sip/http servlets) based on your proposal and are wondering whether you plan to share the JS client ? 
We would be interested for testing purposes and we'll be happy then to provide feedback.

Regards, 

Thomas

Le 11 oct. 2011 à 09:46, Iñaki Baz Castillo a écrit :

> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb