Subject: [rtcweb] Some misunderstandings about <Usecase & architecture: Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver>

From: Nguyen Duong Tuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:10:09 +0900

Hello everyone,

I read about Partha's question at RTCWeb mailing list at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg00563.html

He said that there's interoprating issues due to mapping between
RTCWebserver and SIP client w.r.t mid-call services in the
introduction of new gateway. Could anyone please explain more about
those issues? I have a little bit difficult to understand his
meanings.

I couldn't send an email to Partha directly by [email-masked], so I
decided to send to this email. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
TuanND

---

From: "Ravindran Parthasarathi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:37:36 +0530

Hi TuanND,

<snip>
b) Browser application interacts with VoIP server (use HTTP)
        browser<------>RTCweb server & SIP client (new GW)<------>SIP
server

New Gateway is outside the scope of RTCWeb and IETF which provides the
opportunity for innovative way of building gateways but may leads to
interop issue due to mapping between RTCWebserver & SIP client w.r.t
mid-call services.
</snip>

The issue in case webserver acts as new RTCWEB & SIP GW for VoIP
communication, there is a need of protocol mapping between the protocol
used between browser & RTCWebserver (say RTCweb protocol) to SIP. In my
experience with signaling protocol interworking, the interop between two
vendors fails lot of times in mid-call services like Hold, resume,
transfer and IETF BLISS WG is good example for such failures. My
question was why RTCWeb was looking into that approach. 

>From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg00730.html
mail thread, I understand that more discussion will occur in RTCWeb to
clarify this doubt. Please let me know in case you need more
explanation.

Thanks
Partha

PS: I have changed my company recently

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
>Of Nguyen Duong Tuan
>Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:40 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [rtcweb] Some misunderstandings about <Usecase & architecture:
>Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver>
>
>Hello everyone,
>
>_______________________________________________
>rtcweb mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:37 -0700

> used between browser & RTCWebserver (say RTCweb protocol) to SIP.  [BA] Not necessarily.  For example, in the case of XMPP, BOSH can be usedto encapsulate XMPP over HTTP.  The BOSH Connection Manager/Web serverdoes not do "mapping", it just encapsulates/decapsulates XMPP stanzas, enabling communication between XMPP clients supporting BOSH and XMPP servers.   This be handled entirely in Javascript with no nativesupport for XMPP.  For detailed examples of how this works (with sample code), please see:http://professionalxmpp.com/

---

From: Nguyen Duong Tuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:17:03 +0900

I'm sorry for late reply due to my vacation. Thanks Partha, I've just
begin with RTCWeb so there're quite a few thing I'm really no clear.

Thanks,
TuanND