Subject: [rtcweb] VP8 royalty free?

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:53:54 -0400

Hi,
In today's session, someone characterized VP8 as "royalty free".  On this
subject, some of you may find the linked blog post (and the article linked
therein) interesting.  It was posted today, during our session.  To
summarize, DOJ probe or not, MPEG-LA continues its efforts to form an
(presumably royalty-bearing) patent pool for VP8, they had initial pool
member meeting sometime in June, and talk about 12 potential member
companies.
http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/07/googles-webm-vp8-allegedly-infringes
.html
Regards,
Stephan

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:08:24 -0400

I was told that the blog has disappeared.
The cached version is still available:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IEfA8rZjUWsJ:fosspatent
s.blogspot.com/+fosspatents&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com
There's also the cited article:
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/News/Featured-News/WebM-Patent-Fight-
Ahead-for-Google-76781.aspx
Stephan

From:  Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:53:54 -0400
To:  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  VP8 royalty free?

Hi,

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:42:37 +0900

I get:

"Blog has been removed

Sorry, the blog at fosspatents.blogspot.com has been removed. This 
address is not available for new blogs."

(and same for http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/). Do you have a better 
address?

Regards,   Martin.

On 2011/07/29 4:53, Stephan Wenger wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Jim Gettys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:40:35 -0400

I recommend taking blog postings and other press from this particular
person (Florian Mueller) with  (more than a pinch) of salt. 

His batting average on both knowledge of the law and prior art has been
very poor and he repeatedly has been portraying himself as an expert at
such matters.  (If you watch Groklaw, you'll know what I mean).
                    - Jim

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:12:27 -0400

I will refrain from expressing an opinion of Mr. Mueller's views (as I
would when it comes to Groklaw), but please note that the blog post did
contain a link to another document from a different source that contains
quotes of Larry Horn, MPEG-LA's CEO.
I posted that link in a follow up to this list.
Stephan