Subject: RE: (radius) IPv6

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

> Then there AVPs like NAS-IPAddress that need to be updated
> to 128-bit addresses from 32-bit addresses. 

I thought IPv6 was downplaying using IP addresses to identify things?
So NAS-Identifier should probably be used instead of adding a
NAS-IP6-Address attribute.  (Of course, if someone wants to use
their IPv6 address as their NAS-Identifier, that works.)

Any other changes needed besides the ones Bernard mentioned?

It's reasonable to do a RADIUS for IPv6 draft.  Anyone want to
volunteer?  I'm willing to write that draft (although if someone else
really wants to and has the time, I'd be glad to foist that off), but
I'd rather not deal with the MIBs, are the MIB authors willing to do
IPv6 flavors of the MIBs?

--
Carl Rigney
RADIUS WG Chair
[email-masked]
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 15:28:22 -0700

...

> IPv6 flavors of the MIBs?

We're just waiting for the IPv6MIB Design Team to finish their work.

-

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 08:41:43 -0700

>I thought IPv6 was downplaying using IP addresses to identify things?

IPv6 addresses are larger and therefore more unwieldy to
type in by hand, but that doesn't mean that they aren't to 
be used in protocols.  

>NAS-IP6-Address attribute.  

I'd make the NAS-IP6-Attribute available and wouldn't change 
the spec language. 

>volunteer?  

I'll volunteer. 

>Are the MIB authors willing to do IPv6 flavors of the MIBs?

Once the IPv6 spec is done, yes.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "David Mitton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:21:07 -0400

For attributes of the type "ipaddr", is it reasonable to propose length 
sensitive processing/upgrading?    Instead of creating duplicate attribute 
(and using more constrainted code space)

That is ipaddr attributes of length = 6 are IPv4, attributes of length = 
x+2 are IPv6. (set x appropriately)

Dave.

>'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton                                  ESN: 248-4570
Consulting Engineer, Nortel Networks           978-288-4570 Direct
Carrier Packet Solutions, Preside              978-288-3030 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821                     [email-masked]

-