Subject: (radius) Protocol Action: Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 14:09:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Remote Authentication Dial In
User Service (RADIUS)' <draft-ietf-radius-radius-v2-06.txt> as a Draft
Standard, replacing RFC2138.

This document is the product of the Remote Authentication Dial-In User
Service Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and
Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes a widely deployed protocol for carrying user
 authentication, authorization, and configuration information between a
 network access server which desires to authenticate its links and a usually
 shared authentication server.

Working Group Summary

 Working group review had no significant technical dissent.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed by Randy Bush.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests the following text be added as an IESG Note:

        This protocol is widely implemented and used.  Experience has shown
        that it can suffer degraded performance and lost data when used in
        large scale systems, in part because it does not include provisions
        for congestion control.  Readers of this document may find it
        beneficial to track the progress of the IETF's AAA working group,
        which may develop a successor protocol that better addresses the
        scaling and congestion control issues.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.