Subject: (radius) interim-update accounting

From: "Andrew Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 02:18:47 +0000

[ Aplogies if this is an FAQ - I've just joined ].

This concerns interim accounting - the ability for a client to
periodically send accounting updates to the server for a particular
session.

I note that draft-ietf-radius-accounting-v2-05 mentions 'Interim-Update'
as being a valid value for the Acct-Status-Type attribute.  It doesn't
describe the design intent but I guess that's pretty obvious.

I have a customer requirement for interim updates so this capability
will be useful.  But there is also a requirement to be able to adjust
the frequency with which the client sends the updates - perhaps hourly
for the first 24 hours, daily after that, etc.

Has there been any consideration given to allowing the server to specify
this frequency?  This could be an attribute of the
accounting-request(start) message.  Alternatively (and I prefer this),
the server could add an attribute to each
accounting-request(interim-update) message's ack to tell the client when
it should next send an interim update.

I'd appreciate some guidance on how to provide this functionality - it
would be quite ideal if this capability were captured in the draft so
VSA proliferation can be avoided.

Thanks.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.