Subject: (radius) Transport-Mode IPSec

From: "Partington, Heath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:37:27 -0500

I have been trying to find out if anyone is doing any work with RADIUS
accounting for IPSec connections in Transport-Mode.  Two drafts
"draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-acct-05.txt" and
"draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-auth-09.txt" seem to handle RADIUS accounting for
IPSec connections in Tunnel-mode as far as RADIUS acct-status types and
appropriate attributes with appropriate values.

I did notice a draft in the working group archives in November of 1997
called "draft-ietf-radius-ipsec-00.txt"  which did have some additional
attributes defined which may be helpful in the transport-mode case but it
looks like the draft has pretty much disappeared over time.  Since this
draft uses standard attribute space numbers I don't want to start using them
unless others are using them as well.

Is everyone using proprietary methods to perform RADIUS accounting for
transport-mode IPSec connections or is there some more standard way to do
this?

Thanks.

Heath

_________________
Heath Partington
(978) 635-3739 x121
[email-masked]

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:55:29 -0800

There are certainly accounting approaches that can be
used to keep track of IPSEC transport mode packets
sent/received (RTFM, IPSEC MIB, etc.). However,
without a standardized keepalive, I would argue
that it is not possible to accurately account for
the lifetime of IPSEC SAs, in any mode with any
protocol.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Partington, Heath
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 10:37 AM
To: Ietf-Radius@Livingston. Com (E-mail)
Subject: (radius) Transport-Mode IPSec

Thanks.

Heath

_________________
Heath Partington
(978) 635-3739 x121

-

-