Subject: Re: (radius) Framed-MTU and EAP-Message

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 03:37:19 -0800 (PST)

Randy Bush writes:
>we discussed the radius documents on the iesg telechat [12/31]:
>
>o draft-ietf-radius-ext-05.txt
>
>  why can the server not do mtu discovery?
>
>   Using the EAP-Message attribute, it is possible for the RADIUS server
>   to encapsulate an EAP packet that is larger than the MTU on the link
>   between the NAS and the peer. Since it is not possible for the RADIUS
>   server to use MTU discovery to ascertain the link MTU, the Framed-MTU
>   attribute may be included in an Access-Request packet containing an
>   EAP-Message attribute so as to provide the RADIUS server with this
>   information.

I think this can be solved by allowing Framed-MTU to be sent in access-request
packets.  Then a NAS that wants to tell the RADIUS server what MTU it can
do with the client can do so, and the RADIUS server can take that into account
when doing EAP-Message.

However, does MTU negotiation take place before EAP authentication?  If so,
then this change takes care of this.

--
Carl
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.