Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Inconsistent definitions of initial packet number (#982)

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 03:26:37 +0000 (UTC)

Section 5.7.1. defines the Initial Packet Number as:

   _The initial value for packet number MUST be selected randomly from a range between 0 and 2^32 - 
    1025 (inclusive). This value is selected so that Initial and Handshake packets exercise as many possible 
    values for the Packet Number field as possible._

But the specification of the initial packet in section  5.4.1. Initial Packet  says:

   _The first Initial packet that is sent by a client contains a random 31-bit packet number. All subsequent 
     packets contain a packet number that is incremented by one, see (Section 5.7)._

Is that a problem? Section 5.4.3. describes the initial number in the Handshake Packet as:

   _The first Handshake packet sent by a server contains a randomized packet number. This value is 
     increased for each subsequent packet sent by the server as described in Section 5.7. _

This seems better...

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/982

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 06:11:44 +0000 (UTC)

Closed #982 via #983.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/982#event-1369808300