Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Minor mods to stream state machine text (#988)

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 23:08:29 -0800

Some rewording and added one normative.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988

-- Commit Summary --

  * Minor mods to stream state machine text

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (21)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:24:54 +0000 (UTC)

ianswett commented on this pull request.

> @@ -3087,16 +3087,17 @@ state as a result of delayed delivery of packets.
 ### Bidirectional Stream States {#stream-bidi-states}
 
 A bidirectional stream is composed of a send stream and a receive stream.
-Implementations might present the state of the pair of streams as a composite of
-the states of the pair of streams.  The simplest model presents the stream as
-"open" when either send or receive stream is in a non-terminal state and
-"closed" when both send and receive streams are in a terminal state.
+Implementations might represent the state of the bidirectional stream as a
+composite of the states of the constituent send and receive streams.  The

nits: 
I a prefer lower case 'may' to 'might' in the line above.
Should it states be plural?
I think constituent is unnecessary

>  reset. STOP_SENDING is most useful for streams in the "Recv" or "Size Known"
 states.
 
 An endpoint is expected to send another STOP_SENDING frame if a packet
-containing the frame is lost.  However, once either all stream data or a
-RST_STREAM frame has been received for the stream - that is, the stream is in
-any state other than "Recv" or "Size Known" - sending a STOP_SENDING frame is
-unnecessary.
+containing a previous STOP_SENDING is lost.  However, once either all stream
+data or a RST_STREAM frame has been received for the stream - that is, the
+stream is in any state other than "Recv" or "Size Known" - sending a
+STOP_SENDING frame is unnecessary.

Above you changed it so it's SHOULD.  Should it be changed here as well?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988#pullrequestreview-81267031

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 15:51:17 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

 states.

SHOULD doesn't make sense here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988#discussion_r155111322

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 15:51:35 -0800

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

Thanks Ian, comments addressed.

done

 states.

I think of this as justification for why it's a SHOULD above, so I'd prefer to leave this text as is.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988#pullrequestreview-81376547

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:51:57 +0000 (UTC)

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

b0009e3  ian's comments

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988/files/6d6d343c1e2c2b110859e8301ed72e24d49259f8..b0009e3b0c27876a5fb8aebfec5d8725ab0d0d15

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 16:21:18 -0800

Merged #988.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/988#event-1373826079