Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] stream frame bits in wrong order (#1021)

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 18:52:40 +0000 (UTC)

the len bit is 0x2 and the offset bit is 0x4 (and they are described in that order)

but their corresponding data fields appear in the frame as offset then length.. and the fields are described in that order.

we should swap the values of the len and offset bits to make things consistent

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 13:42:22 -0800

I think that the error here is that we describe the bits starting at 0x01 and moving up to 0x80.  The order we have consistently used elsewhere is 0x80 down to 0x01.  If you reorder the descriptions of the bits, then you don't have to change the wire format.  (Besides, high bits come first, right?)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#issuecomment-352213809

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:27:29 +0000 (UTC)

Wfm

On Dec 16, 2017 4:42 PM, "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

I think that the error here is that we describe the bits starting at 0x01
and moving up to 0x80. The order we have consistently used elsewhere is
0x80 down to 0x01. If you reorder the descriptions of the bits, then you
don't have to change the wire format. (Besides, high bits come first,
right?)

—
You are receiving this because you authored the thread.

Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub
<https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#issuecomment-352213809>,
or mute the thread
<https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAP5s9qP9gm3_rDMxU-ZoOvPTJ1onw14ks5tBDk8gaJpZM4REbC8>
.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#issuecomment-352219181

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 22:00:33 -0800

What Martin says. Most RFC use 0x80 down to 0x01. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#issuecomment-352234406

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:36:24 -0800

Closed.  Thanks Patrick.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#issuecomment-352580219

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:36:26 +0000 (UTC)

Closed #1021.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1021#event-1393086203