Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] This clarifies where PUSH_PROMISE can be sent and gives a clue about … (#957)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:23:45 +0000 (UTC)

…why.

Closes #947, #950.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957

-- Commit Summary --

  * This clarifies where PUSH_PROMISE can be sent and gives a clue about why.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (13)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:29:53 +0000 (UTC)

LPardue commented on this pull request.

> @@ -362,10 +362,15 @@ a MAX_PUSH_ID frame.
 
 As with server push for HTTP/2, the server initiates a server push by sending a
 PUSH_PROMISE frame that includes request header fields attributed to the
-request. The PUSH_PROMISE frame is sent on a response stream.  Unlike HTTP/2,
-the PUSH_PROMISE does not reference a stream; when a server fulfills a promise,
-the stream that carries the stream headers references the PUSH_PROMISE.  This
-allows a server to fulfill promises in the order that best suits its needs.
+request. The PUSH_PROMISE frame is sent on the client-initiated, bidirectional
+stream that carried the request that generated the push.  This allows the server
+push to be associated with a request.  Ordering of a PUSH_PROMISE in relation to
+certain parts of the response is important (see Section 8.2.1 of {{!RFC7540}}).
+
+Unlike HTTP/2, the PUSH_PROMISE does not reference a stream; when a server
+fulfills a promise, the stream that carries the stream headers references the
+PUSH_PROMISE.  This allows a server to fulfill promises in the order that best

Minor nit: would it be clearer to say "references the Push ID"? Multiple PUSH_PROMISE can reference same Push ID so a pushed stream is not satisfying any particular promise. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957#pullrequestreview-78602720

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:02:19 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

58045f2  Reference a Push ID

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957/files/7bb67adbc7b6d3321c19bc510f8670ff950e5918..58045f2fc298ee84bd81e3c09ede18cabf0a7a6d

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:00:01 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

LGTM, modulo @LPardue's suggested change.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957#pullrequestreview-78606280

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:48:32 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #957.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/957#event-1355651228