Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Update text on reaction to version negotiation (#897)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 08:28:24 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

> @@ -959,11 +959,12 @@ discarded.
 
 Once the Version Negotiation packet is determined to be valid, the client then
 selects an acceptable protocol version from the list provided by the server.
-The client then attempts to create a connection using that version.  Though the
-contents of the Client Initial packet the client sends might not change in
-response to version negotiation, a client MUST increase the packet number it
-uses on every packet it sends.  Packets MUST continue to use long headers and
-MUST include the new negotiated protocol version.
+The client then attempts to create a connection using that version.  The client
+generates a new Client Initial packet with a new packet number.  Even if the
+cryptographic protocol used does not change as a result of a change in version,
+the cryptographic handshake message MUST be updated to include updated transport
+parameters that reflect the change of version.  This packet and any subsequent
+packets that use a long header MUST include the selected protocol version.

Careful here -- the transport parameters shouldn't reflect the new version as its initially-proposed one, and an unwary reader could read it that way.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/897#pullrequestreview-75926895