Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify the length of the authentication tag (#913)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 01:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify the length of the authentication tag

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 01:56:18 +0000 (UTC)

Why is that? Doesn't this depend on the ciphersuite negotiated by TLS?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913#issuecomment-343707921

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 02:07:23 +0000 (UTC)

@marten-seemann: here is what we specify

```
| TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256          | {0x13,0x01} |
| TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384          | {0x13,0x02} |
| TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256    | {0x13,0x03} |
| TLS_AES_128_CCM_SHA256          | {0x13,0x04} |
| TLS_AES_128_CCM_8_SHA256        | {0x13,0x05} |
```

We're not going to do CCM and it just happens that the others use 16-byte tags.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913#issuecomment-343708298

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 02:39:46 +0000 (UTC)

If in practice all cipher suites use the 16-byte tag, it saves the reader sifting through an endless cascade of documents to dig out the answer.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913#issuecomment-343709310

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 04:50:03 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

WFM.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913#pullrequestreview-75949267

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 05:16:19 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

1754fce  expansion isn't the same as authentication tag

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913/files/da79ebeaf9e2757d7db1852ac34db8452acd0c20..1754fcef9cb483a6196b84afaf34d14ce2cdc07b

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 05:17:12 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #913.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/913#event-1337476384