Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Explain that NST.max_stream_data is needed for 0-RTT. (#943)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 07:06:39 +0000 (UTC)

Note that we require 0xffffffff in order to keep things consistent.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943

-- Commit Summary --

  * Explain that NST.max_stream_data is needed for 0-RTT.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (7)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 01:48:17 +0000 (UTC)

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1421,7 +1421,12 @@ enable 0-RTT in TCP.
 All the restrictions on the use of 0-RTT apply, with the exception of the ALPN
 label, which MUST only change to a label that is explicitly designated as being
 compatible.  The client indicates which ALPN label it has chosen by placing that
-ALPN label first in the ALPN extension.
+ALPN label first in the ALPN extension. In order to be usable for 0-RTT,
+the NewSessionTicket MUST contain the "max_early_data" extension with the
+value 0xffffffff; the amount of data which the client can send in 0-RTT
+is controlled by the "initial_max_data" and "initial_max_stream_data"
+parameters supplied by the server. It is an error for the server to provide
+any other value for "max_early_data".

Which error?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943#pullrequestreview-77630868

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 04:28:22 +0000 (UTC)

ekr commented on this pull request.

PROTOCOL_VIOLATION perhaps?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943#discussion_r151854567

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 04:51:45 +0000 (UTC)

Yeah, no point in defining anything more specific here.  If we did that for every parameter, we'd have a million useless error codes.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943#discussion_r152179144

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:47:59 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

9581d40  Use PROTOCOL_VIOLATION

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/943/files/b7aec9afdfcc24e664b1ba8c0f8403387cae98b8..9581d40c99d24068b59b41eb7f7ad31803193a44