Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Key Update and Migration in closing/draining (#965)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 04:57:09 +0000 (UTC)

We can re-home this if #899 is merged.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965

-- Commit Summary --

  * Key Update and Migration in closing/draining

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (12)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965

---

From: Subodh Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:12:59 +0000 (UTC)

Dupe of https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/946?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965#issuecomment-347890258

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:21:14 +0000 (UTC)

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1667,6 +1667,18 @@ to any further incoming packets.
 The draining and closing periods do not apply when a stateless reset
 ({{stateless-reset}}) is sent.
 
+An endpoint is not expected to handle key updates when it is closing or
+draining.  A key update might prevent the endpoint from moving from the closing
+state to draining, but it otherwise has no impact.
+
+An endpoint that receives packets from a new source address, indicating a
+connection migration ({{migration}}), can discard these packets if they are
+identified by connection ID.  An endpoint in the closing state MUST strictly
+limit the number of packets it sends to this new address as though the address
+were not validated (see {{migrate-validate}}).  An server in the closing state

A server

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965#pullrequestreview-79947561

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:16:36 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

4f691bf  Grammo

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965/files/85ad5693f33a9169ba7f9cc784de195f914df20f..4f691bf708d16777199c4c5727f00e259ff4193f

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:12:39 +0000 (UTC)

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

I don't think you need "if they are identified by connection ID". (How else would they be identified?)

+An endpoint is not expected to handle key updates when it is closing or
+draining.  A key update might prevent the endpoint from moving from the closing
+state to draining, but it otherwise has no impact.
+
+An endpoint that receives packets from a new source address, indicating a
+connection migration ({{migration}}), can discard these packets if they are
+identified by connection ID.  An endpoint in the closing state MUST strictly
+limit the number of packets it sends to this new address as though the address
+were not validated (see {{migrate-validate}}).  A server in the closing state
+MAY instead choose to discard packets with a new source address and send a
+stateless reset ({{stateless-reset}}) once connection state is discarded.

Remove the second part of this sentence beginning with "and send a stateless reset ..." since what else would an endpoint do after connection state is discarded?

+An endpoint is not expected to handle key updates when it is closing or
+draining.  A key update might prevent the endpoint from moving from the closing
+state to draining, but it otherwise has no impact.
+
+An endpoint that receives packets from a new source address, indicating a
+connection migration ({{migration}}), can discard these packets if they are
+identified by connection ID.  An endpoint in the closing state MUST strictly
+limit the number of packets it sends to this new address as though the address
+were not validated (see {{migrate-validate}}).  A server in the closing state
+MAY instead choose to discard packets with a new source address and send a

This entire sentence may be unnecessary. You already say earlier in this paragraph that an endpoint "can discard these packets".

+An endpoint is not expected to handle key updates when it is closing or
+draining.  A key update might prevent the endpoint from moving from the closing
+state to draining, but it otherwise has no impact.
+
+An endpoint that receives packets from a new source address, indicating a
+connection migration ({{migration}}), can discard these packets if they are
+identified by connection ID.  An endpoint in the closing state MUST strictly
+limit the number of packets it sends to this new address as though the address
+were not validated (see {{migrate-validate}}).  A server in the closing state
+MAY instead choose to discard packets with a new source address and send a

Ok, I sent you a patch with suggested rewording, PTAL.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965#pullrequestreview-80035184

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:39:36 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 2 commits.

c131e00  Suggested rewording
43f6324  Merge pull request #972 from quicwg/janaiyengar-patch-1

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965/files/4f691bf708d16777199c4c5727f00e259ff4193f..43f6324ef8e0bee49cfd26452a708bd3f2394af9

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:46:23 +0000 (UTC)

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965#pullrequestreview-80047993

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:46:29 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #965.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/965#event-1364719320