Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Must not ack acks (#815)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 16:54:28 +0000 (UTC)

Change SHOULD to MUST in "Implementations MUST NOT generate ACK packets in response to packets which only contain ACKs."

The current text is an error.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815

-- Commit Summary --

  * Must not ack acks

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (2)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:01:24 +0000 (UTC)

martinduke approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#pullrequestreview-66522850

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 10:30:15 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1992,7 +1992,7 @@ Error Code:
 Receivers send ACK frames to inform senders which packets they have received and
 processed, as well as which packets are considered missing.  The ACK frame
 contains between 1 and 256 ACK blocks.  ACK blocks are ranges of acknowledged
-packets. Implementations SHOULD NOT generate ACK packets in response to packets
+packets. Implementations MUST NOT generate ACK packets in response to packets

Hmm, this is a fine change in principle, but the sentence is nonsensical.  "ACK packets"?

Isn't the change we want something like: "MUST NOT generate a packet containing only ACK frames if all they have received is packets containing ACK frames."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#pullrequestreview-66530806

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:32:33 +0000 (UTC)

ianswett commented on this pull request.

Yes, of course.  That packet text is everywhere.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#discussion_r142203785

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:36:40 +0000 (UTC)

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

9aa2a10  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815/files/d93dd90fc1d8e9fffaac54b99fcd406fec141bd6..9aa2a109a901ada3adc86ff72543edb2b8631c70

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:37:22 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Martin, take another look at the updated text and see if that is correct.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#issuecomment-333607280

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 10:48:26 -0700

> @@ -1992,9 +1992,10 @@ Error Code:
 Receivers send ACK frames to inform senders which packets they have received and
 processed, as well as which packets are considered missing.  The ACK frame
 contains between 1 and 256 ACK blocks.  ACK blocks are ranges of acknowledged
-packets. Implementations SHOULD NOT generate ACK packets in response to packets
-which only contain ACKs. However, they SHOULD ACK those packets when sending
-ACKs for other packets.
+packets. Implementations MUST NOT generate packets that only contain ACK frames
+in response to packets which only contain ACK frames. However, they SHOULD ACK
+packets containing only ack frames when sending ACK frames in response to other

"they SHOULD *acknowledge* packets containing only *ACK* frames when sending ACK frames in response to other packets."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#pullrequestreview-66536039

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 18:12:08 +0000 (UTC)

9105969  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815/files/9aa2a109a901ada3adc86ff72543edb2b8631c70..9105969d8ee23d51129a43f4879e1a01fd98efb4

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 22:27:20 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

ca81183  Capitalize ACK

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815/files/9105969d8ee23d51129a43f4879e1a01fd98efb4..ca81183b9c1c7042c36b0e282f57cad6831b0e3c

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 22:27:29 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #815.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/815#event-1276954841