Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove application close (#855)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

As agreed, this moves the graceful shutdown under the banner of an immediate
close.  That is, the application protocol negotiates a shutdown.  Once the
agreed state has been reached, endpoints send APPLICATION_CLOSE and we are
done.

Closes #854.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove application close

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (24)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:54:57 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

One nit. We need to add more details to this text, but this PR LGTM.

> @@ -1531,6 +1516,13 @@ An endpoint can cease sending CONNECTION_CLOSE or APPLICATION_CLOSE frames if it
 receives either a CONNECTION_CLOSE, APPLICATION_CLOSE or an acknowledgement for
 a packet that contained a either close frame.
 
+An immediate close can be used after an application protocol has arranged to
+close a connection.  This might be after negotiating a graceful shutdown.  The

I would clarify that this negotiation is in the application, not in QUIC.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855#pullrequestreview-69087346

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:09:02 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

2e4d9bc  The application protocol negotiates

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855/files/0ab0907410d5cb1ee401cdba6628d10efe81e6e8..2e4d9bcc51951d719d6e99f3c346b1dae388f52e

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:09:54 +0000 (UTC)

Yeah, the work never ends.  But we can only move forward in the hope that it will someday be less urgent to fix anything (at which point we declare victory).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855#issuecomment-336305710

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:09:59 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #855.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/855#event-1291323544